Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, If my system get hacked and someone change its password then how can i recover my root password again.. plz help.....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

recovering root password

hello,
    If my system get hacked and someone change its password then how can i recover my root password again..
    plz help..

Linux Engineer
    Boot linux into single user mode though I would do a reinstall on a hacked box.

Linux User
    yes, and i do think that 'optimizing and securing linux' guide covers what to do in an breach. you should read that!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    You cant always boot into runlevel one without being prompted for roots password. The best way to recover is to boot your machine from a boot disk (like tomsrtbt), mount the partition that contains the /etc directory and edit the passwd file.

You might also want to read this security text, it might be debian based but it will still be usefull.

Linux Engineer
    If you are running lilo press ctrl + x when lilo comes up, use the tab-button to see which kernels you can boot on, and the type

<kernelname> single

That will boot the system to singleusermode, then execute the passwd command on the root user to set a new password. But if your system has been hacked i should suggest that you reinstall your system again.

There is another post with the same question here somewhere, search on that for more information.

Regards

Regards

Andutt