Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone. I am pretty new to Linux. I've been experimenting with Mandrake 10 and PCLinux OS for a couple of weeks now and I like them both. I am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help choosing

Hi everyone.
    I am pretty new to Linux.

I've been experimenting with Mandrake 10 and PCLinux OS for a couple of weeks now and I like them both.

I am a programmer and I've been using Windows for several years now.
    I use PHP, C/C++, Basic and other dialects and a few other languages.

I wanted to ask if some more experienced users and fellow programmers could help me reccommend a Linux distro that has a descent C and C++ compiler already installed and configured. It must also be stable and hopefully have a recent version of KDE which is what I have gotten used to. I've seen alot of older users using Slackware, but I haven't tried that yet.

Hopefully this thread will give me more info on the pros and cons on the different distros.

Thanks, GeoTrail.

Just Joined!
    I believe all Linux distros have the almighty GCC compiler built into them...But I'm a n00b to Linux and C programming so I could be wrong

Basicaly every distro worth its weight in piss comes with gcc and g++ (GNU C/C++ compilers respectivly) If you are an experianced programmer you should really consider gentoo, it is flat out undeniably the most powerful distro you can find. The install is a little tricky, but if you use the handbook, then its really not all that hard (a stage1 is a bit time comsuming, but not bad) Where gentoo really shines is not only its amazinf package managment system (builds almost any program you want from source) but its SPEED. Not only is it optimizable out to wazzo,(through the USE variable) it doesn't isntall all these extra processes. NOw, you like KDE, simply type emerge kde when the install is completed and you will have it. But you wont have 50 processes soaking up system resources. but the packages still make it easy to install in that style, you want lots of games? emerge kdegames. easy, look athe the gentoo handbook at www.gentoo.org-->docs
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your answers.
    qub333, I see you use both Gentoo and Mdk, you would select Gentoo for a programmer? Does it lack anything compared to Mandrake?

How about stability compared between the two?
    Does Gentoo come with a pre-installed P2P program?

gentoo has no pre-installed p2p, but an emerge gift will give you one compatable with kazaaz fasttrack network and limewires gnutella netowrk, ive been using gentoo for all my programming (90% C++ fiddling with perl, java class starts this fall) I actualy am in the process of removing the mandrake to install gentoo. I had used mandrake as a server (ftp/http) but im migrating to gentoo. Once you get it working, you will never want to go back. but mandrake is pretty, and it was my first. I still love it, but gentoo is just so amazing that i cant get enough of it.

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Sounds pretty good to me.
    I think I'll give it a shot.

Do you have a direct ftp or http link for a bottable ISO?
    I've been searching the website and I can only find non-bootable CD's and there are so many different files. Not sure which to choose.

I have a AMD Athlon XP CPU if that makes any difference.

Just Joined!

start with the 2004.2 Live CD (minimal is sufficent if you have a highspeed internet connection) follow the directions specified here

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handboo...?part=0&chap=0

If you have more questions post, just so you know, you wont have a GUI during install, and no automated partioner etc. But the handbook is very comprehensive and will give you a great step by step guide.

btw the link is for an x86 archetecture, if you need a different one, search for gentoo handbook, and youll find it. ill be back in about 1.5-2.5 hrs and will see if you have any more post!

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Engineer
    if you don't have enough experience in linux try using suse (in installation you have to choose gcc compiler ---it's not installed by default)...
    i think gentoo is more difficult to install..
    Linux For Ever!

sorry, i was using the 2004.2 livecd, and it has some minor bugs/ ifyou follow the handbook to the T you will have problems, but if you still want gentoo, use the 2004.1. the nice thing in gentoo is there is no versions really,
    Code:
    emerge sync && emerge -uvD world
    will make your system as up 2 date as if it were hot off the ftp...

Formerly Known as qub333