Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, First of all let me introduce myself. I'm Shaun AKA Silverknight. I just started using linux about a month and a half ago. I am running a dual ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

wireless card installation.

Hi everyone, First of all let me introduce myself. I'm Shaun AKA Silverknight. I just started using linux about a month and a half ago. I am running a dual boot system with win xp and red hat 9.

Well here is my question, I am using a wireless g card by microsoft (microsoft mn-730) and I cannot seem to install it in red hat. I was hoping that someone would be able to tell me how I can get the driver and then what to do after I have the driver.

Sorry in advance for not knowing a whole lot around linux.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Silverknight

generaly linux has good hardware support, but because your card is made by microsoft.... normaly the rule of thumb is to visit the manufatuare site. Someone might have written a driver for it though, but the only real way to find it will be a long nights google.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!

driver found

well, I finally found the driver, now I just need to know how to install it. sorry this is such a newbie question to all of you linux gurus out there.

thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Linux Newbie

Re: driver found

Quote Originally Posted by Silverknight
    well, I finally found the driver, now I just need to know how to install it.
    thank you in advance for any help you can give.
    First bit of advice I can give you is to be more descriptive when asking for help.
    If I were a RTFM type I might read the above and respond, "Let us know when you figure it out. It might help somebody some day".
    Basically what I'm trying to say is we need more info in order to help you. Such as where did you find the driver? If it was a web site, did they provide instructions that you're having a hard time understanding? If so, can you provide a link so we might be able to give them a read? In what form did the drivers come(RPM, tarball, etc.)?
    This information is important to getting help.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

Just Joined!
    truly sorry about that. I wasn't sure there were so many different kinds of files to download. (truly a noob at linux)

so to give you more information. I found the driver at http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader...ds-rh-i386.php my redhat 9 kernel version is 2.4.20-8 it is a .rpm file.

I double clicked it and it said that it was preparing the system for the update and that it would take a few minutes. After that, the window dissapeared and nothing happened. (after waiting about 10 min or so)

The installation instructions are at: http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/wlan/install.php I followed method A: binary rpm package to try and install through a terminal window and I got a couple of errors.
    1. Warning: driverloader-1.77_k2.4.20_8-1rh.i386.rpm:v3 dsa signature: nokey, key id 5dfbf7dc
    2. error: cannot get exclusive lock on /var/lib/rpm/packages
    3. error: cannot open packages index using db3 - operation not permitted (1)
    4. error: cannot open packages database in /var/lib/rpm

also if it helps the file is located in my /home/user folder.

Do you think there may be an extra step that I may have to do to install this file?

Again sorry for being so ignorantly vague earlier, I will be more specific from now on.
    Thank you for your help.