Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I've got a redhat 8 box serving my LAN. I'm running most services, and am using iptables for a firewall. I've only got a 1M DSL line and one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

limiting bandwidth per IP on LAN

Hello,

I've got a redhat 8 box serving my LAN. I'm running most services, and am using iptables for a firewall. I've only got a 1M DSL line and one of my room mates is hogging all the bandwidth. He's on to me for unplugging his network cable, so I need a better solution. Are there any packages that I could use to control the bandwidth on an IP basis? It would also be nice to be able to change the limits based on the time of day.

TIA

Linux Newbie
    This howto should be of help. It is something I have wanted to do but havent found the time yet.

Linux Guru
    That HOWTO uses some odd stuff, like a packet queuer that isn't part of the kernel distro and so. Read up on the Advanced Routing HOWTO instead.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    CBQ is supported in the kernel, check under networking options-->QoS and/or fair queueing. All the qos algorithms are under there.

The link you provided discussed how to setup cbq as well, the same as the howto I provided. Although they dont seem to recommend using it.

Linux Guru
    Oh, I'm sorry, I mistook it for the ADSL Bandwidth Management HOWTO. That HOWTO was quite excellent. I'd still recommend reading up on the Advanced Routing HOWTO, though, since it covers more areas, but that's more if one is interested.

Just Joined!
    Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot.