Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have redhat 7.0 on a ibm600e thinkpad and windows me on the a second thinkpad (same specs). I connect to the internet via comcast(previously att) on the windows me ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

connecting to the internet

I have redhat 7.0 on a ibm600e thinkpad and windows me on the a second thinkpad (same specs). I connect to the internet via comcast(previously att) on the windows me machine. I have a SB4220 surboard cable modem. I connected the win me laptop via the usb and i'm trying to connect the linux one via an thernet card. It's a realport xircom cardbus ethernet 10/100x + 56k modem (RBEM56G-100).

I've checked around and i understand that i can connect the modem to 2 computers. On my linux box, i think that it has detected the ethernet card as the lights go on. Apart from that i'm stuck.

Thanks

Linux Guru
    Restart your CM, and your machine after plugging the card in, go to the command prompt, and type "ifconfig". Paste the results here.

Jason

flw
    Linux Engineer
    I think J meant "ipconfig".
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!

ifconfig return

hi all, /.sbin/ifconfig gives me the following output:

lo Link encap:Local loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 mask:255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:3924 metric:1
    RX packet:222 errors:0 dropped:0 overrruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:222 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

Linux Guru
    That would suggest to me that linux has:
    1) Not recognised the device, the lights are on becuase of power?
    2) Linux has found the device, has the drivers, but the device is disabled.

Can we get some more information please:
    1) Which distro are you running?
    2) Exact make and model of the USB device directly attached to the PC

@flw, i know where you are comming from, it is "ipconfig" in windows, in linux it is "ifconfig".

Cheers,

Jason

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Your absolutly right on the ifconfig, I was not logged in as root so the first time I ran it failed. Just tried again as root and all is well. Still a newbie....

I'll update the sticky for cmd line stuff later. Thanks.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    I'm running redhat linux 7.0 (guinness). Linux 2.2.16.22. I have a SB4220 SURFboard cable modem with a usb connected to the windows me machine and the ethernet connected to the linux machine (xircom cardbus ethernet 10/100x + 56k modem (RBEM56G-100)). I hope this is the information you need.

Thanks

Linux Guru
    EDIT:
    Try typing "modprobe serial_cb" at the command prompt, paste any out put here, do an ifconfig afterwards and see if anything is different from the last one.

Failing that, the driver is here: http://www.network-drivers.com/drivers/1/1839.htm

download it and unzip it. there should be some sort of readme/install textfile that will tell you how to install it.

Jason

Just Joined!
    i din't get any output from /sbin/modprobe serial_cb and ifconfig gave me the same output

Just Joined!
    There may be a couple of problems with this (beyond the network card not being recognised)

a. You can only use usb OR ethernet with that modem. You cannot connect both at one time.
    b. Most ISPs insist on having the network card MAC address registered for the network card it is connected to.

I personally use the motorola surfboard connected to my red hat system via ethernet and then a second network card goes to teh internal network to share the connection.

With regard to your network hardware not being detected, Make sure that pcmcia is started at boot else it definately will nto detect your hardware. Or at least I believe that is a pcmcia card modem/network card.

Once the hardware is installed set up eth0 to be configured by dhcp.

Code:
     dhclient eth0
    From memory the surfboard acts as a dhcp server, however i could be wrong. You may have to check the modem manual if you have an older surfboard[/code]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast