Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, Thank God for this site .... am new to linux... what should i look out for?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Why Linux?

Hi guys,

Thank God for this site .... am new to linux... what should i look out for?

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Welcome first of all. Your question is abit vague because "what should i look out for?" could mean several differrent things.

Here a general linux/computer tip. Don't try suggestions off any board on a production machine unless the machine is already down. Try making changes on a test machine first, see how it goes and after some period of time put the change on the server while renaming files to be altered/replaced rather than overwrite them. This applies to any type of servers or NOS.

This may not have been your question, so if not please repost another with a detailed question on what you mean by "look out for"?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    flw - this should happen for anything related to computing in general - although it often doesn't

A quick couple of tips from me:
    1. Learn about what hardware you have/plan to use for running Linux on.
      Avoid internel modems (more specifically software modems).
      Don't install everything. Before installing a Linux distribution, write down what you want to do with it, then do a bit of research about what applications might be best for you. (eg: web browsing, file downloads, music playing, cd burning, documents/spreadsheets, development.

PS. My tips for the items I listed:
    Phoenix/Mozilla,
    wget
    xmms,
    XToaster (or however it's spelt )
    OpenOffice
    Sun JDK1.4

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close