Find the answer to your Linux question:
i just installed a new kernel and i want to delete the old one. It has a delete option on GRUB on the bootup, but it doesnt work how do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

deleting an old kernel

i just installed a new kernel and i want to delete the old one. It has a delete option on GRUB on the bootup, but it doesnt work
    how do i do it?

Linux Engineer
    You can just edit the grub config to remove the old kernel section and use rm to delete the kernel from your box. I generally keep an old kernel that i know works as backup though.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by genlee
    You can just edit the grub config
    /etc/grub.conf

Jason

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    No, it's not /etc/grub.conf. GRUB looks through all partitions looking for /grub.conf, /boot/grub.conf or /grub/grub.conf. If they've added /etc/grub.conf, at least it's after I last read the docs.

Linux Newbie
    /etc/grub.conf is usually a symlink to its normal location of /boot/grub/grub.conf (which is itself a symlink to /boot/grub/menu.lst).

Its all getting too confusing ... :P

Just Joined!
    Sorry, im a little new to linux (but making good progress thankfully)
    where is the old kernel usually located. The red hat network updater installed the new one for me via RPM and never showed the path it was installing to. I plan to use that kernel as a backup (since the new one hasn't had any problems in the few days ive had it) and download the latest stable source (2.4.20) from www.kernel.org and do some optimizing. Good idea? Or wait a couple more days after i delete the old one?

Linux Engineer
    /boot. Good luck getting a custom kernel to work on redhat. Takes a little longer to get working correctly, atleast for me it did.

Linux Guru
    I've never had any problems compiling a kernel on a RH system. What did you have problems with, genlee?

Linux Engineer
    Lot of startup errors with modules and stuff. Took awhile to get them all fixed. I also only had a few weeks of redhat experience at the time of doing it. I probably only have about 4-6 months total of redhat experience.

Linux Enthusiast
    I know I had problems due to the whole initrd issue. I don't know how to use initrd.gz offhand, so I couln't make a correct initialization routine. Ah well, I know if I read about how to do it I could pretty easily. Then again, that was over a year ago too
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.