Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
i'm still having dependency problems, I tried again to install smpeg-xmms. I got this error message checking for XMMS - version >= 1.0.0... no *** The xmms-config script installed by ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

i'm still having dependency problems, I tried again to install smpeg-xmms. I got this error message

checking for XMMS - version >= 1.0.0... no
    *** The xmms-config script installed by XMMS could not be found.
    *** If XMMS was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
    *** your path, or set the XMMS_CONFIG environment variable to the
    *** full path to xmms-config.
    configure: error: *** XMMS >= 1.0.0 not installed - please install first ***
    [root@localhost smpeg-xmms-0.3.4]#

I'm pretty positive that i have xmms, since i was playing it yesterday and all, so do i just have really bad luck or is my linux box cursed? I believe that i am still carrying my windows scent and linux can smell it on me and will try to be as problematic as possible.

BTW, distro is Red Hat 8.0.

thx

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohntheScot
    you are my new best friend, lol. Though... did you have to install any extra libs? Or did your file just play great right off the bat? once a file is loaded, the mplayer interface becomes inoperable. And also dreamer what version of mplayer are you using if you don't mind my asking. And yes my background is in windows, being young and all. Though when I was around 8 my uncle taught me dir and tree commands for dos... lol
    i'm using MPlayer 0.90rc5-3.2.2 (use mplayer --version to find your version)

It becomes inoperable? hmm. just run 'mplayer' and look near the bottom of the list. there are a list of keystrokes. like by pressing the right aarow key you can advance ten seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by JohntheScot
    i'm still having dependency problems, I tried again to install smpeg-xmms. I got this error message

checking for XMMS - version >= 1.0.0... no
    *** The xmms-config script installed by XMMS could not be found.
    *** If XMMS was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
    *** your path, or set the XMMS_CONFIG environment variable to the
    *** full path to xmms-config.
    configure: error: *** XMMS >= 1.0.0 not installed - please install first ***
    [root@localhost smpeg-xmms-0.3.4]#

I'm pretty positive that i have xmms, since i was playing it yesterday and all, so do i just have really bad luck or is my linux box cursed? I believe that i am still carrying my windows scent and linux can smell it on me and will try to be as problematic as possible.

BTW, distro is Red Hat 8.0.
    I think redhat may be at fault again. and not having a copy of redhat handy, i can't install it to find out.

the most i could help is by telling you that you need the following to install it

* /sbin/ldconfig
    * /sbin/ldconfig
    * ld64.so.1
    * libSDL-1.1.so.0
    * libX11.so.6
    * libXext.so.6
    * libXi.so.6
    * libartsc.so.0
    * libaudiofile.so.0
    * libc.so.6
    * libdl.so.2
    * libesd.so.0
    * libgdk-1.2.so.0
    * libglib-1.2.so.0
    * libgmodule-1.2.so.0
    * libgthread-1.2.so.0
    * libgtk-1.2.so.0
    * libm.so.6
    * libpthread.so.0
    * libsmpeg-0.4.so.0
    * libxmms.so.1

I think xmms should have installed most of them.

Other than that, try running xmms-config and seeing if you get anything like this:
    Code:
    tom@dreamer:~$ xmms-config
    Usage: xmms-config [OPTIONS]
    Options:
        [--prefix[=DIR]]
        [--exec-prefix[=DIR]]
        [--version]
        [--libs]
        [--cflags]
        [--data-dir]
        [--plugin-dir]
        [--visualization-plugin-dir]
        [--input-plugin-dir]
        [--output-plugin-dir]
        [--effect-plugin-dir]
        [--general-plugin-dir]
    if you do, then something has gone wrong with the configure operation. try that, and then we'll take it from there.

if you don't. try searching your hard drive(s) for xmms-config. if it finds a copy of it that is a binary, copy it over to /usr/bin and make sure its executable by all users. If its allready in /usr/bin, but you get nothing from running xmms-config, then you've got soething seriously wrong. if that happens, i couold only recomend re-installing xmms.

Just Joined!
    I did a locate xmms-config as root but the search was nonsuccessful. Should i then reinstall?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2