Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey, I've just installed Slackware10. It is my first installation of Linux and it is going great. I would like to edit the termination time for choosing either MSWindows or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Editing lilo. Termination Time and Color

Hey, I've just installed Slackware10. It is my first installation of Linux and it is going great.

I would like to edit the termination time for choosing either MSWindows or Linux. I selected 30 seconds during the install, but I've found the 3-5 second range better for me.

I tried, using pico (the only editor I know of right now for lilo), to achieve my goal by changing the 'terminal = 300' line (or something like that) to 50, but that didn't change a thing. (FYI complete power off (not sure if this fact is at all important)). Upon reopening the conf later on, the setting was indeed set at 50 as entered previously.

Also, can I change the color from red to a blue or something?

Thanks for your help!

DrCR

- Information Technologies employee for 5+ years

Linux Newbie
    After editing lilo.conf, you have to run lilo for the change to take effect. From the console, su to root and enter lilo at the prompt
    As for the color, I don't know. I know it's possible but I use a LiLo boot image instead of the stock text login.
    Oh. And BTW. Welcome to Linux and especially Slackware.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

Just Joined!
    to run lilo. type /sbin/lilo at the terminal screen.

Armage

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Code:
    #lilo
    is the same as
    Code:
    #/sbin/lilo
    because /sbin is in #PATH.

Just Joined!
    Indeed it is. I think some people don't actually add sbin to PATH.

So, I just thought I'd mention it.

Armage

Linux Engineer
    also you should really run /sbin apps with the full path so you can be sure that some nasty hacker hasnt changed $PATH

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by variant
    also you should really run /sbin apps with the full path so you can be sure that some nasty hacker hasnt changed $PATH
    Isn't it just a matter of taste? /sbin/ is the first item in the path for the root, so if someone is able to change it it's also able to change everything else.

Linux Newbie
    Thanks guys!

I have no clue what your talking about with or without path wise lol, but I'll let you know how it goes once I get a chance to try it.

FYI I have another 10GB partition on my HD. I'll probably install FC2 or Mandrake10 on it. You think I could fit both of these on (4.5GB each, 512MB swap each)? SW10 full install is around 3-4GB, but I don't know how representative this is for other distros.

Back to SW10, how would I setup GDM? Upon loging in as root, I just type 'startx' and it goes right into gnome (which I selected during SW10 installation). I would like to be able to use GDM to check out other WMs and DEs.

Perhaps I should ask this in the SW forum, but could someone explain the adduser command to me? I have no clue what to put in for 'shell' and all that. Hey, I'm a pure science, not computer science major. lol If I should indeed ask this in the SW forum instead, just let me know.

Thanks for your help guys!

DrCR

Linux Newbie
    To start gdm from the command line, su to root and issue:
    Code:
    init 4
    instead of startx.
    To boot straight to gdm, open /etc/inittab in your favorite editor and look for this line:
    Code:
    # Default runlevel. (Do not set to 0 or 6)
    id:3:initdefault:
    Make it look like:
    Code:
    id:4:initdefault:
    This will start x and take you to GDM on boot.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by U-Turn
    To start gdm from the command line, su to root and issue:
    Code:
    init 4
    instead of startx.
    So in other words, login as root and type init 4 in the command promt instead of startx? 'su to the root', what is that suposed to mean? The only su I can think of is single user. It is really hard for me to understand such acronyms if I don't have an idea as to what it means.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Turn
    To boot straight to gdm, open /etc/inittab in your favorite editor and look for this line:
    Code:
    id:3:initdefault:
    Make it look like:
    Code:
    id:4:initdefault:
    This will start x and take you to GDM on boot.
    Sweet, thanks! Any editor recommedations? Perhaps a link to a 'shootout' with the listings of pros and cons? The only editor I know of is pico. Would any of you sugest another one to me?

Also, anything in /etc is a config file (though not all configs are in /etc) right? What does init stand for? Initialization?

So id:3 is for the command prompt and id:4 is for GDM, or what? What would the id be for KDM for example?

Thanks U-Turn!

DrCR

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast