Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
if you dual boot with windows the best thing would be to have a seperate (FAT32 or NTFS) partition allowing you not only to share files between linux users but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

if you dual boot with windows the best thing would be to have a seperate (FAT32 or NTFS) partition allowing you not only to share files between linux users but windows users too giving you access to the files no matter what OS you boot in

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your help, I will use a NTFS partition

Just Joined!
    I just sat up a mount point for a windows NTFS partition on linux, and here's some tips:

Install "ntfs-3g", which will let you write to an NTFS partition.

Create a user and group named "windows" (no password and no shell, you never want to log in as this user):
    useradd -u 99 -d /mnt/windows -s /bin/false windows

The group "windows" was created automatically for me, if not, create it:
    groupadd -g 99 windows

Add the mount point to /etc/fstab. This mounts the partition as read/write, with all files owned by windows:windows, writeable by members of the group and readable by anyone, not executable.
    /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows ntfs-3g auto,uid=windows,gid=windows,fmask=0113,dmask=0002 0 0

Now, every user can read from the partition. For users that are allowed to write, add them to the "windows" group:
    gpasswd -a robin windows

(replace "/dev/sda1" with your partition, "99" with the user id you want to use, "robin" with your user name, and "/mnt/windows" with where you want to mount the partition)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2