Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi Is there any shortcut keys to shutdown linux like the one available in windows? Regards, geetha...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is there any shortcut keys to shutdown linux?

hi

Is there any shortcut keys to shutdown linux like the one available in windows?

Regards,
    geetha
    Last edited by oz; 05-25-2008 at 05:32 PM. Reason: removed spam URLs

Apart from the magic SysRq key, there is /etc/inittab which has these lines on my system:
    Code:
    # What to do at the "Three Finger Salute".
    #ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/ctrlaltdel
    ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -a -t3 -r now
    You can adjust that to your needs.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Quote Originally Posted by Freston View Post
    Apart from the magic SysRq key, there is /etc/inittab which has these lines on my system:
    Code:
    # What to do at the "Three Finger Salute".
    #ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/ctrlaltdel
    ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -a -t3 -r now
    You can adjust that to your needs.
    Isn't using the SysRq commands dangerous, or is that just if you're using 'b'? I remember being taught to use 'rseiub', because 'b' didn't unmount partitions before it restarted, which is bad for journaled filesystems like ext3. That's how it was explained to me, anyway. Does that sound accurate?

So is SysRq 'p' safe on its own? Or should it still be treated as if it were not syncing or unmounting partitions?

Good questions. Yeah, there is some danger in using SysRq, specially the 'b' option on ext* filesystems. It should invoke fsck on boot though. Which I consider better than staring at a locked system.

The funny thing though, I just read the link I posted above again, and I didn't see the Raising Elephants Is So Utterly Boring before. That seems the safest choice. But I think the OP isn't talking about locked down or crashed systems, but just a quick keystroke to turn off the machine.

I know you can configure the power button on modern machines to cause a clean shutdown. If you are willing to configure your ACPI settings manually that is, because it entails a little more than right-click, left-click, check-box, done. I never thought it worth the trouble.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by SagaciousKJB View Post
    Isn't using the SysRq commands dangerous, or is that just if you're using 'b'? I remember being taught to use 'rseiub', because 'b' didn't unmount partitions before it restarted, which is bad for journaled filesystems like ext3. That's how it was explained to me, anyway. Does that sound accurate?

So is SysRq 'p' safe on its own? Or should it still be treated as if it were not syncing or unmounting partitions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Freston View Post
    Good questions. Yeah, there is some danger in using SysRq, specially the 'b' option on ext* filesystems. It should invoke fsck on boot though. Which I consider better than staring at a locked system.

The funny thing though, I just read the link I posted above again, and I didn't see the Raising Elephants Is So Utterly Boring before. That seems the safest choice. But I think the OP isn't talking about locked down or crashed systems, but just a quick keystroke to turn off the machine.

I know you can configure the power button on modern machines to cause a clean shutdown. If you are willing to configure your ACPI settings manually that is, because it entails a little more than right-click, left-click, check-box, done. I never thought it worth the trouble.
    The magic sysrq key is not a soluiton for this topic. So, I'd leave that out of the topic.

Configure your inittab correctly or define a keystroke on your window manager.