Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've just purchased a Dell computer, and it comes with Windoze XP and a one year in-home service warranty. I was told when I ordered the machine that if I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Should I risk voiding the warranty??

I've just purchased a Dell computer, and it comes with Windoze XP and a one year in-home service warranty. I was told when I ordered the machine that if I partition the harddrive to install a second operating system I will void the warranty.

Has anyone encountered such a situation before? Do I need to be so worried about my hardware failing in the first year after purchase that I don't install my favorite OS?

Any advice is much appreciated.
    N3WO

There are 10 types of people; those who count in binary and those who don\'t...

Linux Guru
    You may not be able to get any support for software related issues, and they might try to dodge supporting hardware issues, but if its obviously a hardware issue that would have occured regardless of what software is installed then its still a hardware issue. Check the small print is proberly the best way to start. Is it just software suport you lose, or hardware support as well?

Linux Engineer
    if it is a desktop system buy a hard disk and make there the installation of linux..that's maybe a solution not to lose your guarantee..
    Linux For Ever!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    most of the time if you open the case, you void the warranty, also.. so you would have to buy an external hdd if you wanted to do it that way... also, if you *never* booted the PC, you can try to get your money back for the windows XP software as per the M$ EULA... it's not easy to do, but it has been done....
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Linux Newbie
    Never use warranty before.

Linux Engineer
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly