Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi and thanks to all the people that helped me starting the x server. I finally could replace the XF86Config file and start KDE again. Now, the problem is that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot change resolution

Hi and thanks to all the people that helped me starting the x server. I finally could replace the XF86Config file and start KDE again.

Now, the problem is that I originally had a resolution of 1024 x 768 and after installing a video player I got a 800 x 600. I used the utility in KDE to try to change it back, but as a result I got in lots trouble starting the x server, and I was not able to start KDE. Now (thanks to the helpful comments of people) I could start the x server and KDE again, but the resolution still is 800 x 600, and I would like to take it back 1024 x 768.

I do not know an effective way to change the resolution back again, and I dont want to mess up again

I have an ecs laptop that has a 14.1? XGA TFT-LCD screen with 1024 x 768 resolution, and a SiS 630ST chipset. I have Slackware 9.

Any comments are welcome. Thank you.

Linux Newbie
    If my memory serves me well : Ctrl & Alt & + Did that do the trick. IF not I think you will have to run xf86config. It really isn't hard to set up.

e2k
    Just Joined!
    Even though you're using slackware, this tutorial for gentoo should do the trick. Instead of editing your xorg.conf that you don't have, edit your XFree86Config.

Since I'm not one of the people who helped you out earlier, I don't know if you've already done this, so don't flame me if this was useless

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Open the manual page for XF86Config
    Code:
    man XF86Config
    You will need to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config (may be different path on your system) so that 1024x768 is one of the modes listed in Section "Screen". It will look something like this:
    Code:
    Section "Screen"
    	Identifier "Screen0"
    	Device     "Videocard0"
    	Monitor    "Monitor0"
    	DefaultDepth     24
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Depth     24
    		Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    	EndSubSection
    EndSection
    If the GUI is running when you edit the file, you will need to kill it. best way is ctrl-alt-backspace. Restart with startx and then you can scroll through resolutions with ctrl-alt-+
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better