Find the answer to your Linux question:
Could somebody help me out with this? It'd be much appreciated. I want to set up a callback connection on my Linux machine, where a WinNT machine calls back my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Linux PPP and WinNT RAS Callback

Could somebody help me out with this? It'd be much appreciated.

I want to set up a callback connection on my Linux machine, where a WinNT machine calls back my machine. Info on the net is pretty much vague about it (well, the info I could find), so any help is very much welcome.

Thanks in advance,
    --Syk

Linux Guru
    According to pppd(, it would appear as if pppd has built-in support for callback; at least it is listed under exit statuses that it exits if callback was negotiated. I'm guessing the scripts controlling pppd should restart it with some other options if that happens. What happens if you just dial that connection as if it wasn't callback? Maybe it works automagically.

Linux Guru
    That cool smily was supposed to be 8) as in pppd(8)

Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    According to pppd(8), it would appear as if pppd has built-in support for callback; at least it is listed under exit statuses that it exits if callback was negotiated.
    Quote Originally Posted by pppd(8)
    14 - Callback was negotiated and an incoming call should arrive shortly.
    Whelp... that's something I overlooked the first time round. Thanks Dolda2000.

I'm guessing the scripts controlling pppd should restart it with some other options if that happens.
    I'm just thinking out loud here, but I'm guessing I should just set the S-Register for auto-answer for my modem and wait for a call. By the way, how do I know when I recieve a call so pppd can get fired up?

What happens if you just dial that connection as if it wasn't callback? Maybe it works automagically.
    I'll have to see about that sometime this week. Thanks a lot anyway!

Regards,
    --Sykotik