Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I just installed FC2 today, and it went well.....except that when I double click on an RPM, it doesn't install. Shouldn't it start the install process when you double click ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

FC2 -- Installing RPM's

I just installed FC2 today, and it went well.....except that when I double click on an RPM, it doesn't install.

Shouldn't it start the install process when you double click on it? I know a tarball isn't that simple, but in RH8 rpm's just did their thing.

AM I doing something wrong?

you could just open up a shell and do
    Code:
    rpm -i <filename.rpm>
    -lakerdonald

Some nice reading for ya: http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/
    Everything you wanted to know about RPMs.

---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by lakerdonald
    you could just open up a shell and do
    Code:
    rpm -i <filename.rpm>
    -lakerdonald
    Do you have to type the complete path to where it resides on the HD, or can you just type the file name, and it will find it?

Linux Guru
    If your in the same directory as the RPM you can install you dont need to includet the path. Otherwise you will need to include the path. You can use "cd" to change directories if you need to.

Jason

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonlambert
    If your in the same directory as the RPM you can install you dont need to includet the path. Otherwise you will need to include the path. You can use "cd" to change directories if you need to.

Jason
    Got that far, but then it had a ton of dependencies, all of which could be corrected if I did the RH automated update...........which keeps freezing up.

Very frustrating.

Linux Enthusiast
    I had a similar problem for awhile untill I realized that
    the Fedora Core graphical RPM installer couldn't handle
    spaces in the directory path, either for the file or the full
    pathname.
    I think apt (or something similar) can track and download
    dependencies for you. Not sure since my system with
    Linux is connected, so I haven't got a chance to look into apt.

Linux Newbie
    The dependency problem has been a blemish for rpm for a long time. It is suggested people can compile the source code instead of using rpm package. And apt or yum might help you get around the rpm package dependency problem a bit.

Just Joined!

mine is click and run

i have set up my fc2 to be point and run by right clicking an rpm file and open with and then usin RPM -iv in the command box then set that as the default for rpms and i have done the same for a shell script unless you have something that needs to been run in root this works pretty fine oh yea you have to chek the box that says run in terminal so you can see any messages that come up.

works fine for me also made my life less stressful too might not suite you needs but its a big time saver.

Just Joined!
    Not to be a critic of Linux, because it is cool, but I have to say they are so close to being as easy to use as Windows, but they're not there yet.

If they can take it to the point of the .exe double click for installs, and make network set up a bit more straight forward, it would take an even bigger bite out of MS's home user share.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast