Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have completely install java onto my computer, so I can run jars and compiler java files. But java still doesn't work in firefox. I've tried to follow some guides ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Getting the firefox plugin for java to work

I have completely install java onto my computer, so I can run jars and compiler java files. But java still doesn't work in firefox. I've tried to follow some guides I found which required putting a symbolic link in mozilla/plugins here: How do I download and install Java for my Linux computer? - 1.5.0, 6.0 I found the file they were talking about on my computer: /usr/java/jre1.6.0_07/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so. I have three different mozilla folders mozilla, mozilla-firefox, and mozilla-snapshot, so I'm not sure which one.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Try the following,
    Code:
    #ln -s /usr/java/jre1.6.0_07/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/.
    If that does not help, try creating the link in the mozilla-firefox/plugins directory.

Just Joined!
    Firefox browser:
    Edit
    Preferences
    Content
    Advanced
    Advanced Java Script Settings

Just Joined!
    Ok, something weird happened. I made that link that you were talking about, and I linked it the lib in my jre1.6.0_7 directory. But when I went to the java test page:
    How do I test whether Java is working on my computer? - 1.4.2_xx, 1.5.0, 6.0
    And it said I had java version 1.6.0_6 working on my computer. So I deleted the link I had made in the plugins folder. Then reloaded the page. It showed the same thing, java 1.6.0_6. After testing a few things I found that the plugin firefox is using for java is:
    /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.06/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    (I tested this by renaming this file then restarting firefox to see if java worked.)
    The problem now is that I want to be able to update my Java manually. Especially right now to upgrade it to 1.6.0_7.
    I'm not sure how firefox is finding this file now. I need a way to find these links, but I don't know how. Ubuntu's search function does not find links.

Hi
    Have a look at this documentation
    Hope dat it's what u are looking for
    "If we lived in a world where the better technology won out, then no doubt everybody and their aunt Fanny would be using GNU/Linux"
    Sam Varghese