Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by techieMoe Again, the original poster said specifically they wanted KDE or GNOME. Hence my choices. I'm aware of that. Hence my mention of SLAX and PCLinuxOS. But ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Again, the original poster said specifically they wanted KDE or GNOME. Hence my choices.
    I'm aware of that. Hence my mention of SLAX and PCLinuxOS. But I also wanted to respond to other comments.

I haven't had any trouble using apt with Mepis. I've been able to update/upgrade install/uninstall everything I use and then some with no problems. Nothing breaks for me.
    Good for you. My experience differs greatly. Of course, It could have been my particular hardware set-up at the time I tried it. Or, it could have been the version I used. I tend not to go back after getting burned the first time or two.
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that Mepis, or even Knoppix, is a bad distro. Just that my personal experience with both have been less than pleasing.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

Quote Originally Posted by U-Turn
    I haven't had any trouble using apt with Mepis. I've been able to update/upgrade install/uninstall everything I use and then some with no problems. Nothing breaks for me.
    Good for you. My experience differs greatly. Of course, It could have been my particular hardware set-up at the time I tried it. Or, it could have been the version I used. I tend not to go back after getting burned the first time or two.
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that Mepis, or even Knoppix, is a bad distro. Just that my personal experience with both have been less than pleasing.
    This reminds me of a conversation I had on another forum about Transgaming's WineX(Cedega). The original poster was extolling the virtues of the program and how he'd been able to play all his MS Windows games on it flawlessly. I was on the other side of the fence; the program has never once worked for me on several distros and hardware configurations. I subscribed to it once but will never again since it was basically a waste of money for me. So I can relate to your not wanting to go back. That's not even going into my ATI fiasco...
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2