Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
What is the smallest/easiest Distro that is still KDE or Gnome enabled? Thank you so much in advance. J@y...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smallest Distro Linux

What is the smallest/easiest Distro that is still KDE or Gnome enabled? Thank you so much in advance.

J@y

Re: Smallest Distro Linux

Quote Originally Posted by j@son636
    What is the smallest/easiest Distro that is still KDE or Gnome enabled? Thank you so much in advance.

J@y
    Well, I think you'll find "small" and "KDE" or "GNOME" aren't generally found in the same sentence. As far as I know, the smallest you're going to get is a LiveCD distro like Mepis (650MB), Knoppix (650MB), or Slax (180MB)
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Thank you! being an extreme newbie that helps. Let me ask you this. What is the smallest distro with the above mentioned that are for HD install? Thanks again.

J@y

Quote Originally Posted by j@son636
    Thank you! being an extreme newbie that helps. Let me ask you this. What is the smallest distro with the above mentioned that are for HD install? Thanks again.

J@y
    Of the 3 above, I believe only Knoppix and Mepis are designed for eventual harddrive installation, though I haven't actually used Slax so I couldn't be for sure. I've had great success with Mepis personally.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Thanks! I'm off and looking than.

J@y

Just Joined!
    Have you heard of DSL? (damn small linux) i haven't tried it yet i have on disk but havn't tried using it yet all i know is i can run on a buissnes card size cd and dosen't need installing its only 50mb in size
    http://damnsmalllinux.org/
    if you do try it plz let me know what its like

Quote Originally Posted by foxem2001
    Have you heard of DSL? (damn small linux) i haven't tried it yet i have on disk but havn't tried using it yet all i know is i can run on a buissnes card size cd and dosen't need installing its only 50mb in size
    http://damnsmalllinux.org/
    if you do try it plz let me know what its like
    I have, and it's a great distro, however he specified using KDE and Gnome, and DSL uses Fluxbox (or Blackbox, I forget). It's also not a newbie-friendly distro and not necessarily designed for hard drive installs.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    its not made for hd install but you can put it on the hd but as you say its not for the new

Linux Newbie
    I don't know so much about all that. It's easy enough to get up and running. The fact that it uses FluxBox instead of KDE or GNOME shouldn't be much of a hinderence to new users. I know it will be but it shouldn't.
    As for the install, it's easy enough for those who are willing. DSL suggests Morphix, however, since it was built with the intent of being installed and DSL wasn't. DSL is so customized that it makes it a pain to work well with apt. The same is true for Mepis and Knoppix as well.
    SLAX is a good live distro also. The installer is a bit tricky for newbies though. Also, the SLAX developer says it isn't intended for hd install and you shouldn't contact him with complaints if it doesn't work.
    There's only one live distro that I've installed which I can call a success. PCLinux is a Mandrake based live distro which is intended for hd install. Texstar took Mandrake, fixed the broken stuff and built a damn fine distro. It's a bit larger and requires a full-sized cd but you won't be disapointed. PCLinuxOS is distributed in two forms. One is a standard release and the other has nForce and gForce drivers built in and ready to use.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

Quote Originally Posted by U-Turn
    I don't know so much about all that. It's easy enough to get up and running. The fact that it uses FluxBox instead of KDE or GNOME shouldn't be much of a hinderence to new users. I know it will be but it shouldn't.
    Again, the original poster said specifically they wanted KDE or GNOME. Hence my choices.

As for the install, it's easy enough for those who are willing. DSL suggests Morphix, however, since it was built with the intent of being installed and DSL wasn't. DSL is so customized that it makes it a pain to work well with apt. The same is true for Mepis and Knoppix as well.
    I haven't had any trouble using apt with Mepis. I've been able to update/upgrade install/uninstall everything I use and then some with no problems. Nothing breaks for me.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast