Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

free internet t.v ?

any one got any of these to work with any flavor of linux ? I used to get a few channels with xp, before i wiped it and went full ubuntu. I was able to get a couple of local access channels tonight, but not much more, the ones that try to open with totem crash... any ideas ?

I've not actually tried that yet, but it seems to me that you would have to make sure that you have all the right codecs installed for whatever media player you have going.

...I'm probably way off on this one!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

How were you getting it through XP? I didn't know that you could get free local channels like that, I use hulu every once in awhile for shows and they function well. If there is a site, post it and we'll check it out, or do you use a tv tuner? Post a few more details and we'll try to help you out a bit
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    nah, I just google search " free internet t.v" then ignore all the ones that want money or a email addy. I used to have one that had all the southpark episodes...I got some weird local access station from a college to work last night, but it was boring. the ones that propt totem to work always return an error. thanks for any help.

Are you watching Flash video streams from your web browser? If so, you need a Flash Player plugin.

What exactly are you doing? Downloading a video file and then playing it in totem? What type of file is it? Hey, I want to get free cable tv on my Linux. Can you tell me how to get My Penguin to do that?

Beeline TV - Watch TV Online - Free Internet TV Channels
    all 85 english channels here:
    Beeline TV: English Channels

This is 'live' streaming like video, a lot of wmv format, some realplayer format, and the most demanding is quicktime. The movie channels are ALL qtime, and they all are coming in at 500kps too, so highspeed a must for those, along with a machine capable of handling qtime as well.

I have 256kps cable modem here, and some of the stations work extremely well for me in windose xp on this old box.

Haven't gotten far enough with linux yet to try them on linux.

Another site may be Watch TV Online - shareTV.org

To the op, if you can play the video format with your player, many of the stations should work for you.
    If there is a problem with the 'linking' from the browser to the player, try grabbing the destination url of the stream itself, and dumping that into the 'open url' in your player, then bookmark the link in your player for future playing.
    That's what I've been doing in xp mostly.

*If anyone is into usa politics etc, cspan-2 is Absolutely Excellent, better stuff there than on cnn most of the time, current, very good stuff, I watch this quite a lot, it's very good, imho.
    cspan-1 and cspan-3 also work well, are on 24/7 I think, and you never know what you'll find there.

Hope some of that is of some use to someone, and good luck all.

mo.

For anyone in their area (Europe) Zattoo | TV meets PC has a linux installer and is a way to watch live TV.

A wider alternative is Livestation | Watch instant, interactive, live TV on your desktop | Download the free Livestation player which also has a linux installer.

Are these legal? We wouldn't want to be spreading illegal sites around on the forums
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Quote Originally Posted by jmadero View Post
    Are these legal? We wouldn't want to be spreading illegal sites around on the forums
    Yep, they're leget enough.

This isn't like we can just go and grab for free all the major networks we watch on our cable tv service.
    But there are a lot of sites out there that put a lot online for us to watch.
    cnn has, from what I gather from it, a dedicated 'channel' for the internet. It's not cnn, not cnn international, it's just sorta there, lol.

Discovery channel gives us all a wealth of stuff as well, with 4 or 5 channels. Wish my connection was faster, they have some great stuff there. Not so much 'live tv', but a lot of updated videos for us.

There is a lot of 'online tv' out there, and to my knowledge none of it is 'pirated' or anything, it's free for the taking. Just hard to find is all.

mo.

Hulu - Watch your favorites. Anytime. For free.

Its legal, however you can use any os as long as you have flash player.