Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Is there any Terminal Emulation Software which will support Linux. Coz i use Exceed which works well with the CDE but is not taking the Linux boxes. If you ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Emulator Software

Hi,

Is there any Terminal Emulation Software which will support Linux. Coz i use Exceed which works well with the CDE but is not taking the Linux boxes. If you know any (free) softwares please let me know.

Thanks
    Balaji R

Linux Guru
    Why? Is there any special platform you're looking for? I guess you're referring to terminal emulators over a network, right? For UNIX/X11 there is always xterm, for Windows you have putty (which is great, btw.), for UNIX/terminal mode you have ssh, telnet, rsh (don't use it, though!), etc., etc., and I guess for Mac OS X there should be at least a telnet, and I'd guess you can run OpenSSH on it.
    If you're looking for an X server, I don't know any good, free one for Windows (except running XFree86 on top of cygwin), and needless to say there is XFree86 (or the rest of the standard X distribution) for almost any UNIX variant.

Just Joined!
    Hi Dolda,

I was mentioning the X Server over the network. I tried the Xmanager and Hummingbird Exceed Software but they are not of much help concerned to Linux. Can you tell me how can i setup the XFREE86 you mentioned??

Thanks
    Balaji R

Linux Guru
    What do you mean was wrong with Exceed?
    Anyway, sorry, but I can't help you set up XFree86 under cygwin, because I never used it while I had Windows, and now I have sworn off Windows forever.
    XFree86, as you may or may not know, is by far the most common X server for Linux, and probably for many other UNIXes as well. It's also ported to cygwin. Cygwin is a UNIX emulation layer for Windows. I've never used it myself, as I said, but I've seen many successful reports of people running XFree86 on cygwin. I've heard that the setup process isn't too simple, though. First, you'll have to set up a cygwin environment with all the UNIX tools you need, and then you'll need to download the XFree86 source distribution and compile it for cygwin. Then it might work, I really don't know. This is why I parenthesized it.

Linux Guru
    By the way, did you mean that you wanted an X terminal emulator for Linux? In that case, you already have it. XFree86, like I mentioned, is the most common X server for Linux, and if you're running a GUI right now, you'll just have to make any remote program connect to the X server that you're running. Such is the power of X.