Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I can't seem to find any idiot guides to setting up nameservers. I've been using linux for years now but until now never had to do this. I've got ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting up nameservers

Hi,
    I can't seem to find any idiot guides to setting up nameservers. I've been using linux for years now but until now never had to do this. I've got a dedicated server where i need to setup nameservers so i can point domains to it. I've got some domains at registerfly and i've registered the nameservers there but there still not showing up. i've also tried registering a nameserver with enom as i have a domain there and when i check the status of the namenameserver it says it was created on the 20th but when i try a nslookup, dig or ping i get nothing showing up.
    Does anyone know what i'm doing wrong here. My server is up all the time so i can't figure out whats wrong.

Any help please

Thanks

Gary

Linux Guru
    There are a couple of HOWTOs on this on tldp.org:
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDE...ng.html#NETDNS

Linux User

guis

I did this recently and downloaded all the howtos and still got stuck.

I recommend getting one of the Howtos off the tldp.org site and then go somewhere quiet and read it. Then come back and use a GUI to start you off. I run RH 8 and 9 with gnome. The bind config gui was great although it didn't work for me first time. but it did create all of the files that i needed. and provide me with logs and error messages when trying to run bind.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close