Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there an easy way to copy a single file into multiple subdirectories? I have a situation where about 80 sub-dirs contain a file that needs to be updated with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

File Mgmnt

Is there an easy way to copy a single file into multiple subdirectories? I have a situation where about 80 sub-dirs contain a file that needs to be updated with a new version. Doing this by hand would be tedious at best. =\ I know I know, prolly shoulda been a symlink to a main file in the first place, but it isn't.. heh Alternatively, would there be an easy way to change all of the files in the sub dirs into symlinks without going into each subdir and doing it by hand?

Or.. ?
    Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Just Joined!
    Write a shell script to do the job.

Linux Guru
    Why, of course! This is UNIX we're talking about.
    First, you need to construct a list of the directories. Since I don't know the actual directory structure, I'm going to assume for this demo that they are all in the same directory, and called subdir-0 to subdir-79. The master file is in the parent dir and is called "master". The files to be updated will be called oldcopy. If that would be the case, just execute this (being in the parent directory):
    Code:
    for dir in subdir-*; do rm $dir/oldcopy; ln -s ../master $dir/oldcopy; done
    It isn't harder than that.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    Why, of course! This is UNIX we're talking about.
    First, you need to construct a list of the directories. Since I don't know the actual directory structure, I'm going to assume for this demo that they are all in the same directory, and called subdir-0 to subdir-79. The master file is in the parent dir and is called "master". The files to be updated will be called oldcopy. If that would be the case, just execute this (being in the parent directory):
    Code:
    for dir in subdir-*; do rm $dir/oldcopy; ln -s ../master $dir/oldcopy; done
    It isn't harder than that.
    Thank you so much!

That was too easy...