Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, So I installed Amarok 2 on Ubuntu and so far so good but I wanted to do a couple things: 1. Where did "recommended songs" go?! I used ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Amarok 2...

Hi All,

So I installed Amarok 2 on Ubuntu and so far so good but I wanted to do a couple things:

1. Where did "recommended songs" go?! I used to love that in last.fm it'd show recommended songs, now when I click the last.fm tab it shows like "radio you might love" or something like that, but I want a list of songs...then I can browse the bands on Amazon and see if I want to buy them.

2. Sound issues? Anyone having them? When I use Amarok 2 and then try to play a game (or watch a movie in VLC) I can't get sound out of them until I restart...I've had this issue before with another piece of software (forget which one), but it seems like the software is completely hijacking my sound card and making it useless until it's reset
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

I stopped using last.fm when Viacom/CBS/whoever bought them out. I'll be damned if I let anyone in the music industry know what I have ripped!

On the sound side I've occasionally seen that problem too. It's quite frustrating and reminds me of older sound setups in Linux. From what I can tell Phonon/Xine is locking the card and doesn't let go. In Ubuntu (almost) everything is routed through gstreamer which seems to work well in sharing out resources. I can even have Youtube on flash playing at the same time as Totem.

After I close Amarok, if I see those symptoms I usually kill anything that has Amarok in the process name. Killall doesn't seem to work for me so I've been using
    Code:
    kill -9 $(ps aux |grep -i amarok |awk '{print $2}')
    And yes for some reason you do need that -9 in there as some are very stubborn. After that everything recovers.

I'm considering trying out the gstreamer Phonon backend to see if it plays better. I think it's still in testing and a bit unstable though. It really is a shame as Amarok 1.4.x doesn't give me this problem even though it's using the Xine engine.

Thanks fro the reply and the quick fix (although annoying fix). I'll post the bug and see what the developers say.

As for last.fm, didn't realize that a corporation had bought them out but...all of my music is legal and I'm not too paranoid about them knowing what I have I found a few scripts online (never had used amarok scripts before), so I'm trying to set them up to get my recommended music again...I would say over the past two years half my music has been bought because I first got the name with recommended music on amarok.

I have mixed feelings about amarok 2 as of now, thinking about going back to 1.4 but it might just be that I need to get used to 2 so maybe I'll give it a month or so....really disappointed that I couldn't bring my ratings over to 2 (I tried a few times and it always got screwed up in the conversion from SQLite to MySQL).

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Decided just to add this to my previous post. Anyone know what happened to all the cool stats that Amarok 1.4 held...it seems like you just can't see them in Amarok 2. Some stats are still available such as how many times you've listened to a song and the last time you listened but version 1.4 had things like total amount of songs, favorite songs based on number of times played, favorite album, etc....

Did the developers just decide to take this out?

I think there are a few things that are still on the way. I installed Amarok 2 the other day in Ubuntu and this time it actually uninstalled 1.4, whatever way the package is now setup. I was a bit dissapointed but I'll see if I can stick with it. It's certainly come on more, I see queuing is back now.

I have to say though, the plasma widgets are awful. They are as slow as treacle and I can't resize the wiki app so it's always misaligned.

I am actually using it in Gnome...I am dual booting KDE 4.2 but...uninstalling today because of so many bugs. Today I tried booting into Kubuntu for the first time in a week and it won't boot for me, spits out an error about plasma going down and tells me to report but I can't do anything at all. I'll wait for 4.3 and try again.

By the way, are you using the nightly build of kde? It has a lot more extras but I think it's a bit more unstable

I'm running the Kubuntu nightly builds, yeah. I won't say KDE 4.2 wasn't an improvement over previous KDE4 releases but after having that lovely fade in intro it just goes downhill from there. It looks great but it doesn't play so well.

I'm the same, I run a Gnome desktop but K3b and Amarok are irreplaceable for me. I suppose if Amarok had've gone down the toilet I'd have started to use Exaile. It's pretty good because of the Amarok feel and of course is GTK+ based.