Find the answer to your Linux question:
I know this quetion is posed by few people. But i am learner and recently started using red hat linux in university. I want to practice at home on my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red face How to install Red hat linux on External hard drive ?

I know this quetion is posed by few people. But i am learner and recently started using red hat linux in university. I want to practice at home on my laptop. I had few issues?

1) My laptop had Vista and file system on INTERNAL DRIVE (laptop) is NTFS and i dont want to make any changes to it.

2) Now i bought (Iomega) 360 gb external network hard drive USB , the file system is FAT32.

My question is; If had to install red hat linux on external drive do have to convert filesystem from FAT32 to NTFS (because my INTERNAL DRIVE filesystem is NTFS).

2nd question "do i have to format my external drive because red hat linux needs less GB (honestly i dont know how much space it takes ,it will be appreciated even for this answer)".

3rd question "do i have to create separate drives on my external drive ?" will it be ok if i use one of the drive of external drive to store red hat linux ?

4th question "i want to install Linux on one drive and other drives (partitions) i want store normal files ,videos and pic's. will my laptop identify other drives(data,videos, pics) if i boot linux when i am working on linux.

5th please give me simple instructions to install red hat linux on my external network hard drive to work with my laptop (windows vista) ?

thankyou

Just Joined!
    2) No, you can leave it as FAT32, but probably would want to format it as ext2 or ext3.
    3) I'm going to assume you mean "partitions" where you say drives. No, you can leave the external hard drive as a single partition.
    4) Yes, but you'd probably want to split the external drive into two partitions: ext2 or ext3 for Red Hat, and FAT32 for data files. Your data files will be visible in Linux and Windows.
    5) Have you tried downloading the install CD and specifying that's the drive you want to install to? Sorry, I haven't used Red Hat extensively, and certainly not enough to remember the install process. A google might help.

1) My laptop had Vista and file system on INTERNAL DRIVE (laptop) is NTFS and i dont want to make any changes to it.
    Make sure not to touch internal disk in Partition Section during installation. Disable Internal disk in BIOS during installation, if possible.
    2) Now i bought (Iomega) 360 gb external network hard drive USB , the file system is FAT32.

My question is; If had to install red hat linux on external drive do have to convert filesystem from FAT32 to NTFS (because my INTERNAL DRIVE filesystem is NTFS).
    Internal disk's filesystem has nothing to do with RedHat. Create two partitions in External disk for RedHat installation.

15+ GB, ext3 filesystem for /
    512 MB, SWAP

To be on safer side, create these partition before starting installation. Select Manual Partitioning in Partition Section during installatin. Select ext3 partition and assign it / mount point. Installer will detect SWAP itself.
    3rd question "do i have to create separate drives on my external drive ?" will it be ok if i use one of the drive of external drive to store red hat linux ?

4th question "i want to install Linux on one drive and other drives (partitions) i want store normal files ,videos and pic's. will my laptop identify other drives(data,videos, pics) if i boot linux when i am working on linux.
    As suggested earlier, create 2 partitions for RedHat. Use rest of free space for data storage. Format rest space in NTFS or FAT32. RedHat support both filesystems.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Make sure not to touch internal disk in Partition Section during installation. Disable Internal disk in BIOS during installation, if possible.

Internal disk's filesystem has nothing to do with RedHat. Create two partitions in External disk for RedHat installation.

15+ GB, ext3 filesystem for /
    512 MB, SWAP

To be on safer side, create these partition before starting installation. Select Manual Partitioning in Partition Section during installatin. Select ext3 partition and assign it / mount point. Installer will detect SWAP itself.

As suggested earlier, create 2 partitions for RedHat. Use rest of free space for data storage. Format rest space in NTFS or FAT32. RedHat support both filesystems.
    Seniors thanks for ur reply. I am really sorry for coming back with more basic questions, please consider i am new to open source and administration. iam facinated about this technology.it will be apprecieted if someone help me with below questions?

1) The optical dvd drive in my laptop is completly gone. i cant buy new one. but will make linux RHEL 4 on memory stick (i mean os) for installing.

2) Now how do install linux RHEL 4 on my external drive ?

3) how to make partitions on external drive?

4) present filesystems on external drive is FAT32. it is brand new drive.
    how to make 20gb ext3 filesystem for root / ?i need to know how to make ext3?and how to make 512 mb SWAP ?

5) advisor devil casper; u said format rest of free space to either NTFS or FAT32?
    already the filesystem of external drive is FAT32. why do i have to format rest of free space?

6) let say my media and data files are on ONE PART OF PARTITION external drive (IE. the rest free space(FAT32)). if i connect my external drive to acccess media ,data files does windows vista recognises them?i know u said that i can access those files if i am using Linux.

7) You said partition external drive ; if i do that ,does it really appear as separate drives (partitions) like drive: D , E, F and so on ....(depends on how many partitions i am going to create). will i am able to see those partitions if i connect my external drive to laptop?.

one partiion will have (which i mentioned in the above question D,E,F...) linux with ext3 filesystem and other for swap (i dont know what filesystem for this !).. i am assuming that first partition will be drive D, ...

9) My understanding is right about partions or not?

You have to recreate partitions in External Disk. Boot up from PartedMagic LiveCD. Its one of the best Partition Manager. You can create 3 Primary + 1 Extended + 11 Logical Partitions ( inside Extended ). In other words, you can create 14 partitions.

* /dev/sda1, Primary, NTFS -- for data sharing. Windows OSa and Linux will detect it without any problem and you will have full access of NTFS partition in both OSes. You have to install ntfs-3g package in RHEL because it doesn't support NTFS out of box. RHEL support FAT32 read/write access out of box.

* /dev/sda2, Extended

* /dev/sda5, Logical ext3 for / of RHEL. Windows OSes do not recognize ext3 partition and it will be invisible in Windows OS.
    There are a few tool available to access ext3 partition in Windows OS though.

* /dev/sda6, SWAP

Logical Partitions start from /dev/sda5 only. You can create two more Primary Partition ( /dev/sda3 and /dev/sda4 ) any time. Same is with Logical Partitions ( /dev/sda7 - 14 ).

Make sure to disable Internal Disk in BIOS during Linux installation.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    HI ,

1) I did partitions on external drive and i did install swap on one parttion and in one of them(ie logical)for red hat linux.and the rest of the space is left free.

2) I disabled internal hard drive and changed boot priorty order to keep external hard disk in 2nd place. BUT when i switch my laptop it is just showing the word "GRUB" and it wont go further.(this is at very beginning of switch on).

3)my internal optical drive doesnt work, so second time i disabled that too and chaged boot priority order so that external drive comes first during system boot process,but still dont work. it just shows the word GRUB and wont go further.

4) my friend suggests the BIOS is not able to understand the filesystem or partitons on external drive during boot process.

pls help me. thankyou

Just Joined!
    5) 1st partition is swap and secong logical(ie RHEL) and third partition is left RAW and i will change it to NTFS. DO you think BIOS is not able to understand the RAW ,but i think the BIOS want just the OS (RHEL)which is on second partition of external drive.