Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Originally Posted by yancek You might be able to save at least some of your data with SystemRescueCD at this link: Main Page - SystemRescueCd I'd suggest reading the documentation ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    You might be able to save at least some of your data with SystemRescueCD at this link:

Main Page - SystemRescueCd

I'd suggest reading the documentation before taking any action.
    Okay, i downloaded the iso and burnt to a CD-R successfully, now what do i do when i boot? im not going to boot this thing until i know exactly what im supposed to do or i might screw it up, if its not already screwed too badly... can anybody walk me through this?

Pro-Tip:
    Backup, Backup, Backup. Test restore. Rinse and repeat.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralBeotch View Post

Pro-Tip:
    Backup, Backup, Backup. Test restore. Rinse and repeat.
    How? from what i've heard, the system rescue CD is a command line interface, and i dont know how to use that to fix windows... can somebody tell me what i have to do and what it will be like? or another solution would be fine, all i want is to get all the data back from windows XP before re-installing, if a re-install is necessary... does anybody know exactly what i can do to fix this?

You really don't want to "fix windows" at this point, you merely want to use the system rescue cd to start your machine, mount the /dev/sda2 partition and see if there is any data left on it. I gotta tell you though, I don't think it looks very promising. Windows should have been /dev/sda1 and PDL should be on /dev/sda2, or the USB device. To me it looks like you overwrote at least part of the windows drive. You might be able to use testdisk to recover data from the partition but I am not familiar with either system rescue or testdisk.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    You really don't want to "fix windows" at this point, you merely want to use the system rescue cd to start your machine, mount the /dev/sda2 partition and see if there is any data left on it. I gotta tell you though, I don't think it looks very promising. Windows should have been /dev/sda1 and PDL should be on /dev/sda2, or the USB device. To me it looks like you overwrote at least part of the windows drive. You might be able to use testdisk to recover data from the partition but I am not familiar with either system rescue or testdisk.
    I am a total complete newb at this, how do i mount drives? do i do it from within ubuntu or pendrivelinux or the rescueCD? all i want is my banking data and videos back, i can put them onto my ipod or burn onto disk if i can get back into windows at all that would be great.

P.S. Ubuntu is running off a CD (it could run off of a USB drive though), and ipod is in disc mode so i can store files on it in ubuntu and such.

Read this thread for something similar to your situation.
    However, since you overwrote the beginning of your disk, there is no guarantee.
    Be sure you don't write to your disk and let testdisk do its job. Testdisk is included in the rescue CD.
    Charles
    ASUS EEE Box B202, Atom 270 1,6GHz, 1 GB, HDD 80GB, XP-SP3 / PinguyOS
    Asus EEE PC 901 with Bodhi-Linux

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles4809 View Post
    Read this thread for something similar to your situation.
    However, since you overwrote the beginning of your disk, there is no guarantee.
    Be sure you don't write to your disk and let testdisk do its job. Testdisk is included in the rescue CD.
    Okay, i used Rescue CD, and managed to boot into the graphic mode, found the first partition with the partition manager, and then deleted the first 400+MB partition with PDL on it, and the drive doesnt boot... i dont care if i have to reformat it, but i really want to get my files and program installer stubs back, if there is any way to get into windows until i can get my files back that is fine... i have an 80GB ipod i can put video, banking info, settings, and whatnot onto. BTW, the partition is not deleted, i just... overwrote PDL onto it, or something i dont even know... but im pretty sure i could restore PDL with rescue disk, but i really dont care, all i want is my old windowsXP back, any help is appreciated... send any personal email to KratosCrux@live.com

Here is a link that should help you out in mounting your partitions. But, I think MikeTbob is right. Looking at the last image you posted, it isn't looking very hopeful. I'm thinking the best you might be able to accomplish is a partial data recovery... if that. But hopefully I'm wrong!
    Try to mount your partitions, and then see if you can get anything copied over to a thumb drive. Let us know what goes on!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    Here is a link that should help you out in mounting your partitions. But, I think MikeTbob is right. Looking at the last image you posted, it isn't looking very hopeful. I'm thinking the best you might be able to accomplish is a partial data recovery... if that. But hopefully I'm wrong!
    Try to mount your partitions, and then see if you can get anything copied over to a thumb drive. Let us know what goes on!
    will that make it so i can boot windows?
    and... i dont understand what to do here:

mkdir /some/mounting/point chmod 777 /some/mounting/point mount /dev/partitionId /some/mounting/point

what is the /some/mounting/point mean? what am i supposed to replace that with? my partitions are SDA1 and SDA2

Quote Originally Posted by KratosCrux View Post
    will that make it so i can boot windows?
    and... i dont understand what to do here:

mkdir /some/mounting/point chmod 777 /some/mounting/point mount /dev/partitionId /some/mounting/point

what is the /some/mounting/point mean? what am i supposed to replace that with? my partitions are SDA1 and SDA2
    Sadly, nothing is going to "Make you boot Windows", at least as far as I can see. Right now you're probably looking to want to look into just recovering data and doing a fresh install. The link I gave you is directing you as follows:
    mkdir /some/mounting/point
    meaning you need to execute in a terminal:
    Code:
    mkdir sda2
    (that would be, hopefully, Windows)
    chmod 777 sda2 
    (to give all read/write privileges to you)
    mount sda2
    (to mount it)
    From there, you will want to look at something like manpages.com for some info on the command cp (cp is the command for copying files.)

When in doubt though, try a quick search on <Linux> - Google Search for any type of 'howto'. Then, let us know what's going on. We'll guide you through!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast