Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
This is REALLY bad!! i have nowhere else to turn! i think i accidentally installed PDL onto my harddrive instead of my USB, and now i CANNOT bood back into ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

PenDriveLinux DISASTER!!!

This is REALLY bad!! i have nowhere else to turn! i think i accidentally installed PDL onto my harddrive instead of my USB, and now i CANNOT bood back into windows XP!!! PLEASE HELP ME! did i overwrite my harddrive with this crappy PDL? this is really bad! any help is appreciated!!! i am so frustrated right now this is so crap i hope i didnt lose all of my data!

my hardrive no longer shows up on the places list, please send any email to KRATOSCRUX@live.com, i REALLY need it Thanx for the help even if i ****ed up my computer... o plz god say thats not the case!

Hi and Welcome !

It looks like you installed Boot Loader ( GRUB ) in the MBR of Harddisk having Windows OS.
    Boot up from Windows XP installation CD, select Repair and execute FIXMBR command at repair prompt. It will remove GRUB and Windows OS will boot up fine on reboot.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Hi and Welcome !

It looks like you installed Boot Loader ( GRUB ) in the MBR of Harddisk having Windows OS.
    Boot up from Windows XP installation CD, select Repair and execute FIXMBR command at repair prompt. It will remove GRUB and Windows OS will boot up fine on reboot.
    This computer did not come with an XP install disc.
    If i use a friends disc would this still work? do i need a serial key?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Any XP installation CD will work fine and there is no need of a serial key.

Just Joined!
    Any XP installation CD will work fine and there is no need of a serial key.
    What if its an XP pro CD when i have XP home operating system on my computer?

Because you are not going to install anything, all types of XP installation CDs will work fine. Just execute Fixmbr command ( its same in all variants of Windows XP or 98 ) at repair prompt.

Just Joined!
    I cannot find an XP CD (That works), is there any other way?

I will probably have to borrow one from a friend, but that will take a day or two...

Download SuperGRUB USB, CD or Floppy image, boot up from it and select 'Fix Windows Boot' option.
    Or
    If you have Floppy drive, download Windows 98 Bootable Floppy from Bootdisk.com. Boot up from Floppy and execute fdisk /mbr command at A:/> prompt.

Just Joined!
    Download SuperGRUB USB, CD or Floppy image, boot up from it and select 'Fix Windows Boot' option.
    Or
    If you have Floppy drive, download Windows 98 Bootable Floppy from Bootdisk.com. Boot up from Floppy and execute fdisk /mbr command at A:/> prompt.

Does this mean i can use a Windows 98 disc to fix it? because i have one!
    and i tried booting up from CD drive, and i set CD drive to look for bios first, but it still boots up into PDL can i fix that at all?

BTW, i WAS able to bootup from ubuntu, but now when i press F12 and go into the boot menu it doesn't show any option for CD drive, only harddrive...

If this is any help, i went to this page and followed the instructions there, replace X w/ A because that is what it said the
    USB drive was... apparently not... How to install Pendrive Linux to a USB device using Linux | USB Pen Drive Linux

Just Joined!
    pendrivelinux:/home/user# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250000000000 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30394 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 51 409626 6 FAT16
    /dev/sda2 52 30394 243730147+ 83 Linux
    pendrivelinux:/home/user#

BTW, i cannot download anything, or save anything on this computer with linux, so i would have to use one of the other computers here to download that super grub thing... and even then i dont know if i would be able to boot from it...

When i type this into Root Terminal this is what it says... does that mean i wrote over windows XP and all everything? any advice on how to get my disc drive to get recognized in the boot menu? it WAS there before, but now it magically disappeared... i had once booted ubuntu, and now i cant boot from it, and it is not recognized as a disk drive in linux either, please help!

P.S. I took some screenshots and they actually saved to linux desktop, here if this helps

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/1213/screenshot1xn8.png
    http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8572/screenshotap9.png
    The other 2 drives there are "unionfs" and "tmpfs" in that order... dont know if that helps...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast