Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an ipod classic and i want to boot ubuntu off of it, but i dont want to lose any of my music or videos, and i still want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Boot Linux off of Ipod Classic (80GB)

I have an ipod classic and i want to boot ubuntu off of it, but i dont want to lose any of my music or videos, and i still want to be able to sync in windows.
    is this possible? if so how do i do it?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by KratosCrux View Post
    I have an ipod classic and i want to boot ubuntu off of it, but i dont want to lose any of my music or videos, and i still want to be able to sync in windows.
    If i am able to boot from a CD or USB drive and save / install programs to the ipod that would be fine.

Just Joined!
    I remember spending a full night trying this with my 5G 30GB to no avail. It has something to do with the iPod having no MBR to write to, so it won't be recognised upon startup by grub.
    Unless I'm proven wrong, I'm pretty certain that it's a no go.

Just Joined!
    If i am able to boot from a CD or USB drive and save / install programs to the ipod that would be fine.
    Sorry I just saw your reply.

What is technically possible if you want to boot up from the CD is to drag & drop the .deb files of the program that you would like to install to your iPod.

the deb files are basically installation packages of programs. You can get your desired apps here.

Ubuntu -- List of sections in "intrepid"

There are two downsides to this however.

1. You have to install the applications at every boot-up
    2. Your deb packages may be dependant on other packages, and you will recieve errors about this.

Hope that helps.

Just Joined!
    okay, what i want though is to install firefox and flash and a bunch of different codecs to the ipod, but FF is built into the CD and i cant uninstall or anything... any way around this? or... yeah... it doesnt matter if i cant get it.. im probably going to buy a higher capacity USB drive because this 1GB drive just doesnt cut it, keeps running out of space after 2 days

Just Joined!
    im probably going to buy a higher capacity USB drive because this 1GB drive just doesnt cut it, keeps running out of space after 2 days
    If this is your only reason for wanting to install packages onto your iPod then I STRONGLY recommend that you upgrade to a 4GB usb card. They're relatively inexpensive ,and do the trick perfectly. It will save you hours of grief. Ditch the iPod for now.