Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi ppl, I've been a windows java developer for about 5 years now. I've always used windows but with the new KDE 4.2 I finally decided to do a serious ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux distro recommendation

Hi ppl,

I've been a windows java developer for about 5 years now. I've always used windows but with the new KDE 4.2 I finally decided to do a serious try on linux.
    I use computers mainly for intense java development with eclipse, so I was seeking for a good linux distro for eclipse development. I'm currently trying kubuntu, but unfortunately, my linux noobness is getting in the way. Kubuntu currently ships with eclipse 3.2, but that's not what I want and I get pretty lost with anything that needs to be installed from outside the package manager, manly because I don't know where to put/install the package since the linux filesystem is a complete black box of mystery to me.
    So, is there any linux distro that would be more suitable for eclipse development? One that stays updated with eclipse versions?

Regards,
    Thiago Souza

Hi and Welcome !

There is nothing like 'A distro suitable for Java Development' because you can install any package in any distro and customize ( mostly ) it the way you want. You can install Eclipse in any Linux Distro easily.

Its really easy to install/update packages in Kubuntu. Have you tried Adept Package Manager? It fetches list of latest available packages on clicking Reload button and you can mark/install those easily. Your machine must have internet connection for that though.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Hi,

I guess you didn't get what my problem is... I understand that eclipse can be installed in any distro, but as I said, Ubuntu package repositories for example, doesn't keep up with eclipse versions (currently it's 3.2) and I get pretty lost when a package needs to be installed from outside the package manager... what I'm looking for a linux distro that the repositories keep up with eclipse versions so It can be installed (and updated) through the package manager...

Regards,
    Thiago Souza

If you check here, version 3.2.2 is available in Ubuntu Repositories. All you have to do is,
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Commands are same for all Debian based distros.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

That's what I'm trying to say, eclipse 3.2 is NOT the current version that I need, I'm in search for a repository that keeps up with eclipse latest version (that is 3.4.1).

Regards,
    Thiago Souza

Fedora 10 has Eclipse 3.4.1 in its repositories. It doesn't have KDE 4.2 yet (they want to close some bugs first), so you will have to wait a few (hopefully) more days for KDE 4.2. Unless you enable Rawhide repositories, which are mostly used by Fedora testers and developers. I recommend to wait until KDE 4.2 reaches the official repositories.

I was going to suggest Fedora 10 only. It looks like Ubuntu Team is not going to add latest version. Users are complaining for last 2 years.

You can also just stay with Ubuntu and compile the newer version your self. I see here you can download the tarball and if you move that to let's say, a directory you called ~/sources, and depackage it there, you can navigate into the directory and run the
    Code:
    ./configure
    script. If that doesn't show any lack of dependencies you can go ahead with the command
    Code:
    make
    and when you have done that (without any errors) you can do
    Code:
    sudo make install

Once that's done you have the new version installed.

If the configure script returns dependencie errors, you can try to install them using apt.

Just Joined!
    Hi ppl,

Thanks you all for the support. I'll try out Fedora 10 when it comes with KDE 4.2

Thanks!
    Thiago Souza

You don't have to do any of those things, using the newest version of eclipse is very easy. Go to their website and download the version for your architecture, x86/x64, then simply save the file to say your home folder, right click it and click extract, then you should be able to go into that directory and double click the eclipse start script, it should just be called eclipse