Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
So I just got my Dell mini 9 with ubuntu Linux and I like it but like most prebuilds it comes with a lot of stuff you don't need and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

just got my dell mini 9

So I just got my Dell mini 9 with ubuntu Linux and I like it but like most prebuilds it comes with a lot of stuff you don't need and doesn't come with the stuff you do need. Being new to Linux I need some help. It has this bar that goes through the center that I don't care for. How do I get rid of it? There is a lot of useless crap so how do I get rid of that too? I have been a windows user my whole life and I just need some help with this. One last thing is how do I install things on linux from the web? I want to get mozzilla firefox on here and it didn't even come with it, it's using some generic web browser. Thanks for as much help as possible.

are you sure you are using Ubuntu?
    I guess you are using Kubuntu? which uses KDE desktop enviroment. and uses Konqueror as a web browser.

How ever you can use the package manager like Synaptic to install what ever you need.
    Never make any misteaks.

Read my Blog at --> Penguin Inside Subscribe Feed

Well according to dell it's ubuntu, and how do I use Synaptic manager, remember I was a windows user so I am really new to this.

Open Terminal/Konsole and execute this
    Code:
    cat /etc/lsb-release
    Post output here.

Look for Synaptic or Adept Package Manager in Menu.You can install/remove/update packages through it easily. Your machine must have internet access for that though.

EDIT:

Just open Synaptic or Adept ( whatever available in Menu ), click on Reload button. It will fetch latest list of packages available in sources. Just search package you want to install, mark it and click on Apply.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

and what does cat /etc/lsb-release do?

It will display your Linux distro's info.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=8.04
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=hardy
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 8.04.1"

Go to the top left side of Taskbar and left click System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager. Enter your Password when prompted. Let Synaptic open. Left click on Search. Type in firefox. Scroll till ya find it. Click on the box. Hit Apply. You are off to the races. It will install Firefox.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

To get rid of Epiphany web browser. Enter epiphany in search box.Scroll till ya find it. Uncheck it by selecting Mark for removal. Hit apply. You're off to the races again. It will uninstall Epihany Web Browser.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

when I do that it gives me several firefox items, do I install all of them? Guys I appreciate all this help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast