Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I have been using synaptic package manager, really easy to use but when I install a app like KDENLive I can't find the icon for it. When you install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

after install can't find app's.

So I have been using synaptic package manager, really easy to use but when I install a app like KDENLive I can't find the icon for it. When you install things where does it put it. Thanks.

Depends on the particular application.
    Some get an entry in the application menu, some are to be called on the command line.
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.

In my experience, most Linux installation scripts don't put an icon on your desktop by default. You do that yourself if you want one. I consider that a very civilised approach. Windows programs are bullies; they always insist on putting an icon on the desktop, an entry in the start menu, and often one in the system tray as well. No-one asks if you actually want all this.

A quick way to check if something has installed OK is to open a terminal and type
    Code:
    which program-name
    You should see the name of the command folder where the program has been put.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

If you do "cntrl+f2" you'll get a run application menu. You can type anything into there. You can make your own launchers in the menus by right clicking on applications and doing "edit menu"
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

I tried the ctrl + F2 but it didn't work. I found this search bar that allows me to find my apps, I was trying to find kdenlive video editor but it ran like garbage. Does anyone have any good recommendation on a good video player that will play avi, mp4 and DVD? Thanks.

Linux User
    vlc videoplayer will play just about anything.

sudo apt-get install vlc kubuntu-restricted-extras (assuming you are running Ubuntu)
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

The vlc player is exactly what I was looking for thanks.