Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks. My problem.....adding my linux aspire to a windows network. I have 2 windows xp pcs on a normal network connecting to the net through a wireless modem. We ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

adding to a windows network

Hi folks. My problem.....adding my linux aspire to a windows network.

I have 2 windows xp pcs on a normal network connecting to the net through a wireless modem.

We bought a windows xp acer aspire and connected that to the network for file sharing and internet with no problem.

We also bought an Acer Aspire with Linpus Linux lite on it.

This connected immediately to the wireless modem. Can I add it to the windows network for file sharing? If so how.

(I did not buy the linux machine with the intention of adding it to the network but more as a small roving notebook and display machine when visiting clients and coz it cost a damn sight less than a windows machine)

I am not a tekkie, so if this is possible, answers in plain simple english please.

Thanks in advance.

yes you can. I haven't used Linpus but you need to get samba installed. Then you need to edit the following file:

/etc/samba/smb.conf

for testing purposes I recommend something really simple like:

[global]
    workgroup = SIMPLE
    [test]
    comment = For testing only, please
    path = /export/samba/test
    read only = no
    guest ok = yes

then you can read up on how to add to that and make it more complex/secure. I have a couple setup in my house and we have it to where printers are shared between several linux distros, XP and Vista
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"