Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am a complete Linux newbie and during my efforts to try and get to know Linux better i have tried customizing my desktop, which i have done successfully.......but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Acer Aspire One

Hi,

I am a complete Linux newbie and during my efforts to try and get to know Linux better i have tried customizing my desktop, which i have done successfully.......but eventually. I was adding the facility to switch the views of my desktop but before successfully completing it i managed to add several star like icons to the bottom right hand corner (where the power switch and battery level is) which say 'New Item - This item has not yet been configured'. I can not find out how to remove these so would appreciate it if anyone could shed some light on this as it is slowly driving me mad

Many thanks in advance.

What desktop environment are you using? Gnome, KDE? If you are using gnome you should just be able to right click and then left click delete. In kde you may have to unlock the widgets and then do it, depending on what version of KDE you're using
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your reply,

As i stated before i am new to linux however i have tried right clicking on the icon and nothing happens therefore i assume i must be using KDE. Not sure what version though. Any further info would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Sorry about that. Okay what distribution are you using (Kubuntu, OpenSuse, Fedora Core?)

Does your desktop look something or other like this:

http://behindkde.org/people/helio/images/kde1.png

or

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tr/cont...lt_desktop.jpg

or even:

http://www.petesodyssey.org/files/kde4screenshot2.png

the first is kde 3.5, second is Gnome and the third is kde4. If you let me know what distro you are using I can be of a little bit more assistance.

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Just Joined!
    Hi, thanks for that, i couldn't see one that resembled my desktop but i have found a pic that shows what i see.

http://nonimage.com/files/2008/12/fuglyscreenshot.png

thanks again.

K just so you know that's Linpus (a special version of it made for that laptop). I've never worked with it before and that looks very custom. You may want to consider moving over to another distro but if you are set to keep that one then...I'll look into how to remove those icons.

That distro is built on Fedora Core which is a major distro but it doesn't look like it uses Gnome (the default desktop manager for FC)....

I'll look into it and post if I find something. If you are interested in trying other distros here is a small list:

OpenSuse
    Ubutnu/Kubuntu
    Fedora Core
    Mint

Just Joined!
    Ok, thanks. How do i go about installing another distro. Are they available to download for free or is there a charge and how much work is involved bearing in mind i have very limited knowledge.

thanks.

I have a heavy bias towards Ubuntu. I've tried about 10 distros and always end up back with ubuntu. Almost all distros are free, I'd recommend trying a few and then choosing but if you want a start point at ubuntu you can download it from

Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu

I can say from experience that I have switched about 10 people over from Windows and all but one stuck with Ubuntu and think it's much easier than windows..this includes people who are not very computer savvy.

The forums are very helpful at the beginning and once you get things set up typically there isn't much of a problem.