Find the answer to your Linux question:
now i'm a debian user, but i want to change because i didn't like debian at all... well, i'm looking for security and stability in a distribution, also, i'm a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

any suggestions?

now i'm a debian user, but i want to change because i didn't like debian at all...
    well, i'm looking for security and stability in a distribution, also, i'm a sociology student, so i need a distribution with alternativa applications like spss or sas (or at last, a good repositories, with a lot of software)
    my hardware is a 1.8 ghz processor and 512 mb ram...
    i was looking for fedora but i really don't know many things about this...
    so, i want you to help me with this desicion, also, i'll return to university in a few days and when i'm in a don't have a lot of time for looking documentation, so tell me a distribution with not a lot of difficulties...
    thanks all

EDIT: i didn't mentioned that i want to learn gnu/linux, so don't recommend me distros like ubuntu cause when i used them i didn't learn too much about gnu/linux... thansk!

Quote Originally Posted by rainbowdemon View Post
    now i'm a debian user, but i want to change because i didn't like debian at all...
    well, i'm looking for security and stability in a distribution, also, i'm a sociology student, so i need a distribution with alternativa applications like spss or sas (or at last, a good repositories, with a lot of software)
    my hardware is a 1.8 ghz processor and 512 mb ram...
    i was looking for fedora but i really don't know many things about this...
    so, i want you to help me with this desicion, also, i'll return to university in a few days and when i'm in a don't have a lot of time for looking documentation, so tell me a distribution with not a lot of difficulties...
    thanks all
    Quite funny....

I will Suggest you.....................................Debian -_-"
    Or you can go Ubuntu (but its Debian based)...but surely not Fedora.
    there are many good Distros out there, but Debian/Ubuntu got huge software repositories
    Never make any misteaks.

Read my Blog at --> Penguin Inside Subscribe Feed

Just Joined!
    why not fedora?
    also, i laughed a lot with your sign xD

Your requirements describe perfectly Debian. Debian is famous for its stability and its huge number of packages (well over 20.000+). Fedora on the other hand is a "bleeding edge" distribution. They try in Fedora what all other Linux distros or other OSes will do after a year (more in other OSes case). I haven't experienced any instabilities with Fedora yet, after using it for 3 months, but an occasional bug or small regression is not unexpected when you pioneer in developing and trying so advanced software. (ex. packagekit, delta rpms, plymouth, etc...)
    I would suggest you Ubuntu. It has access to Debian's huge repositories and is very user friendly.

Well Fedora is just a prototype of RHEL, for me.
    If you want a different system..You can use CentOS. its good and 100% more stable than fedora.
    it got adequate software library. cause you can use most of the rpms of rhel and fedora repositories. (if you dont find a native one)
    Never make any misteaks.

Read my Blog at --> Penguin Inside Subscribe Feed

Well Lenny Debian 5 was just released. If that aint your cup of tea you might try a bleeding edge Debian like Sidux. If you don't like Ubuntu, then maybe Mepis or Mint or Dream Linux. would be your cup of tea.

For Rpm maybe Open suse or Mandriva .
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Quote Originally Posted by b2bwild View Post
    Quite funny....
    Thats exactly the feeling I got reading OP's description.

rainbowdemon,
    Debian is THE distro for your case. May be if you are too adventurous you may try Slackware. But Debian is a perfect match I believe.

As a sociology student it would be nice if you can read and feel the Debian 'Social Contract'.
    A candle looses nothing by lighting other candles. - Khalil Zibran.
    Registered Linux User #490076