Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
so is it safe to say that if nvidia has a linux 64 and 32bit driver in the .run format on their website (which they do for my card) then ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

so is it safe to say that if nvidia has a linux 64 and 32bit driver in the .run format on their website (which they do for my card) then no matter what flavor I use of linux, I will be able to install that driver correct? damn I suck.

oh and by cherry pick, I guess you mean you just compile gentoo into whatever you want. actually now that I think about it, I don't think I have any idea what you meant

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    I agree absolutely w/ coopstah13, especially the part about "worth it" and I am so new to linux I can't always spell it. At this stage I have also tried lots of distro's, also made more than a few "coasters" or "mini-frisbees"!! Might I sugest that you "waste" one more cdr, and get Puppy Linux, I find it extremely "newbie" friendly. and especially fast. but I don't use a printer much, and my old wifi cards "just work". RP
    BTW it is too bad that you had a falling out w/ Mandriva, I am using it on my desktop and really like it alot. No Games though for me!

gonna give puppy a shot tonight I think. as far as mandriva, not really so much a falling out, but I just don't like uninstalling a program and having my OS be destroyed... too weird and no explanation really.

moveright,
    may be you should give a try to PCLinuxOS. Its based on Mandriva but has better polish, stability and easy of use than Mandriva. Thats what many have suggested me.

Don't be so hard on linux and/or its community. Don't have so much over expectations. Linux is still evolving as a Desktop OS. It was not meant to be a desktop OS. It was result of this eternal itch of the hacker community. Its only because some of them sympathise with us, the less-technical-breed and have taken so much pain to give it a 'user-friendly' Desktop OS form. May be you should help them with bug reports or hardware details so that they can work on them.
    A candle looses nothing by lighting other candles. - Khalil Zibran.
    Registered Linux User #490076

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by saivin View Post
    moveright,
    may be you should give a try to PCLinuxOS. Its based on Mandriva but has better polish, stability and easy of use than Mandriva. Thats what many have suggested me.

Don't be so hard on linux and/or its community. Don't have so much over expectations. Linux is still evolving as a Desktop OS. It was not meant to be a desktop OS. It was result of this eternal itch of the hacker community. Its only because some of them sympathise with us, the less-technical-breed and have taken so much pain to give it a 'user-friendly' Desktop OS form. May be you should help them with bug reports or hardware details so that they can work on them.
    not a bad idea. I do forget how linux started so I'm used to just expecting it to be the "better windows" which is a real noob point of view. oh well. I will check out pclinux as well. thanks for the advice.

I'm new to linux myself, and have not tried that many distros. But I don't think I will ever be without a CD of Puppy. I can use it to get files if everything else is gone. It is like an insurance policy for me.
    I almost forgot...I use Ubuntu. I have had a few problems, but even as a noob, I've been able to solve them. I did have to ask a question here about getting BitPim to work, but with help it now works great (I have to run it as sudo.).

Quote Originally Posted by moveright View Post
    interesting bunch of opinions.

oddly enough, I have always wondered if there was a way to preinstall the madwifi package into an ISO then burn it. that way upon installation, I can just get my wifi working and go from there.
    Debian includes an option to install wireless drivers stored on, say, a usb stick during the install process. Super nice if you don't have a wired connection and need that proprietary driver. And really, I've seen Debian and Gentoo mentioned in the same breath a number of times and Debian is nowhere near as involved as Gentoo to get going. Myself, I use Arch Linux as a nice balance between control over the system, but not the endless hours of compiling from source that Gentoo requires.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2