Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok, I guess since I am in the noob area I don't have to preface everything with how green I am. that having been said, what is the simplest package ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

package management systems

ok, I guess since I am in the noob area I don't have to preface everything with how green I am.

that having been said, what is the simplest package system?

I know there is yum which does RPM

then there is aptitude

ok. I give up, I have no clue what I am saying. I can't even possibly imagine how stupid this sounds and how funny it must be for some of you.

just flame me and get it over with. but after that, tell me why I read somewhere that "yum" sems to be the most intelligent package handling system...

oz
    forum.guy
    I think Red Hat and Fedora use Yum, OpenSuse uses Yast, Mandriva uses Urpmi, Arch uses pacman, and the Debian distros use Apt.

Not so sure that any one of them is the best, or simplest for everyone, though.
    oz

Linux Guru
    Just like "which Linux distro is the best", there is no best/simplest package manager.

The two primary package types are .rpm and .deb - all of the applications just manage these and resolve dependencies. Pick a distro that you like, then learn to use the manager for your distro.

** Making a list of managers and distro's would be nearly endless (and pointless) OpenSuSe can use YaST or zypper, Debian has apt-get, aptitude, and synaptic...and on and on...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    got it. thanks!

There is no such thing as a best Linux distribution. There is only a best distro FOR YOU, but that's based on your needs and personality. The only way you can find the right one for you is by trying.