Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am currently running Vista and Sabayon with the Grub bootloader. I have two hard drives, one 200 gig, and one 500 gig. I partitioned the 200 gig into ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sharing Hard Drives between two OSs

Hi,
    I am currently running Vista and Sabayon with the Grub bootloader. I have two hard drives, one 200 gig, and one 500 gig. I partitioned the 200 gig into 2 15 gig partitions, one 8 gig partition, and one 160 gig partition. I have Vista installed on one 15, Sabayon on the other, and the 8 set as a swap. The 160 is going to be used for program files and such, and the 500 for media. I want to share the 160 and 500 between the 2 OSs, so I can access my documents and media from either one, but for some reason Vista shows a 15, 160, and 500, and Sabayon only shows access to a 15. How can I get Sabayon to show the 160 and 500 as well?

Thanks

You have to mount other partitions in Sabayon. Open Terminal/Konsole and execute this
    Code:
    su -
    fdisk -l
    Post output here.

* Its small L in fdisk -l.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by sHooks View Post
    Hi,
    I partitioned the 200 gig into 2 15 gig partitions, one 8 gig partition, and one 160 gig partition. I have Vista installed on one 15, Sabayon on the other, and the 8 set as a swap. The 160 is going to be used for program files and such, and the 500 for media. I want to share the 160 and 500 between the 2 OSs, so I can access my documents and media from either one, but for some reason Vista shows a 15, 160, and 500, and Sabayon only shows access to a 15. How can I get Sabayon to show the 160 and 500 as well?

Thanks
    8 gigs for Swap? Thats a gig scale waste of space... It does not make your system superfast...! 2gigs need be max.

Ya, we need to 'mount' that space if not already done so by the distro.

Typically, as root (administrator)
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/share1
    mount -t vfat /dev/sdax /mnt/share1
    where x in sdax is the drive letter assigned. This will be known by the command given by devil above.

If you want to mount it permanently then we need to edit a file /etc/fstab.
    A candle looses nothing by lighting other candles. - Khalil Zibran.
    Registered Linux User #490076

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close