Find the answer to your Linux question:
I decided to run Ubuntu in addition to Sabayon and Vista, but for some reason after I install it, when I try to boot into it, it goes through the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu Problems

I decided to run Ubuntu in addition to Sabayon and Vista, but for some reason after I install it, when I try to boot into it, it goes through the loading screen fine, and then just gives me a blinking white cursor. I thought it was just loading, but I let it sit over night with no change. I tried reinstalling, and burning a new disc. I used a live CD, and the live version worked fine.

How do you have your triple-boot set up? Are the two versions of Linux sharing any partitions?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I have a 200 gig hard drive, and a 500 gig. The 200 is partitioned into 3 15 gig sections, 1 8 gig section, and the rest in one partition, and the 500 is one partition. I have Vista, Sabayon, and Ubuntu installed the 3 15s, and then the 8 as a swap. I plan on sharing the large partition from the 200, and the 500, but as of right now it is only visible through vista, as I haven't mounted the drives in Sabayon.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    This probably isn't causing your problem, but I just wanted to point out that 8GB of swap is massive overkill. From your setup I would guess that you have a pretty beefy system with over 1GB of RAM. For that you will never need more than about 1GB of swap, if that. I personally would stick with 512MB. Any more than that is just wasted space, and if you do end up using it for whatever reason, swap space on a harddrive has significantly slower performance than RAM. It would only bog down your system.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I see you have tried burning another disk, but have you checked the MD5 of the image?

If it isn't correct you should re-download the disk.

If the MD5 is correct try using the alternate CD and if that doesn't work, do a base install and then use
    Code:
    apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    If you are trying to use Ubuntu 8.10, try using 8.04. If you are trying to use 8.04, try to use 8.10 if the alternate disk idea doesn't work.

Just Joined!
    i tried the liveCD, then re downloaded it and burned it again, no luck. I'll try an older version or the alternate install.

what graphics card do you have?
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"