Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
.. well I went a installed xp pro on two of the machines ... THEN while reading more about linux came across virtualbox ..( doh).Need windows for some of my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

.. well I went a installed xp pro on two of the machines ... THEN while reading more about linux came across virtualbox ..( doh).Need windows for some of my kids games.. so I'm going to install a 64 bit version of either Ubuntu 8.04 or Ubuntu Ulitmate 2.1 64 .on the third machine. still doing lots of reading to see which ...( but I'm getting that can't wait to get away from windows feeling)

thanks again ..back to reading ..

intel Q9400
    Asus P5Q M/B
    4 gig pc800 ram
    1 gig PCI-E ATI 4650 graphics
    1 TB 32 meg cache samsund H/D
    lightscribe dvd

Why not try Ubuntu 8.10? Each release gets better and better in my experience. Looking forward to Jaunty next month

Just Joined!
    I looked at 8.10 . and please correct me if I'm off track , I leaned toward 8.04 because of the Lts . I figured it would be better in the long term

LTS means that it's supported longer but you'll find the functionality of 8.10 as good if not better in most cases (network support is much better). I'd actually recommend using 8.04 for the next month or so and then just fresh install 9.04 when it has final release at the end of April. Otherwise, install 8.10 and just do the upgrade (I always have problems with upgrades, but maybe you won't).
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

I'm just going to stick with 8.04, because I've got everything working as I want it now, and an upgrade will change a lot of things, back to default. Which I don't want. Once the new LTS comes out I think I'll do an upgrade.

For my server system? That'll stay the way it is until the support runs out, which will be in about 4 years. If I was to set up a new system I would go for the newest release and upgrade it to the next LTS and keep it upgraded to the latest LTS. That's the way I did it with this system too. I started with Ubuntu 7.10.

things wouldn't return to defaults if you didn't format your /home folder. That's where all of your config files are. I reformat my system probably at least once a month and once I download the software from repos it looks identical to what it did before I formatted (I keep my /home partition separate from my / partition for that reason). So like for compiz, all of my config is in my home folder, if I do sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager then my compiz functions exactly like it did before I did a format (that goes for all of my software, my music in Amarok keeps all of its' ratings and stats, my VLC player looks the same, my bookmarks and email in thunderbird are there, etc...)
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2