Find the answer to your Linux question:
is there any way to hook my DELL AXIM up to a linux system...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

hooking a microsoft PDA to a linux system

is there any way to hook my DELL AXIM up to a linux system

Linux Guru
    You have a Dell Axim? Those things are really cool. I don't have one myself, though... if you donate one to me, I'll most certainly find out how to do it for you. ;-)

OK, seriously though, how were you thinking of "hooking it up"? Are you talking the standard syncing stuff or are you referring to get it to interoperate with a Linux network?

The best suggestion would of course be to re-flash it with Linux... Those things run on MIPS processors, right? Might be a little beyond the reach of most of us, though...

Linux User

how do i reflash i with linux

where would i go to find out how to reflash it with linux

also what would happen if the reflashing failed

ill be connecting it through the usb port

Linux Guru
    Reflashing it is probably very hard. I added that mostly as a joke, although it would undoubtedly be the most attractive solution to me, at least. I also saw that these things use the new Intel Xscale processor, about which I know virtually nothing at all. I don't even know if Linux is ported to it, or if it even uses the usual IA32 instruction set.

But then again, what were you planning to do with it? Synchronize it or operate on the network (to access the internet and so)?

Linux User

I just want to stop using microsoft products

I want to stop using microsoft products so i really just wanted to see iff i could just synchronize it with my linux os and use it that way. if its inpossible right im sure itll happen someday. I was just hoping is about all

Linux Guru
    I guess there should be some synchronization packet for PocketPC out there. The Compaq iPAQ also runs PocketPC, so try this guide:
    http://mstempin.free.fr/linux-ipaq/html/

Note that the guide also contains steps to reflash the iPAQ with Linux. You _must_not_ follow them, if it's even possible.