Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is it possible to make root login(both GUI and non GUI) ONLY on the physical machine itself? If so, what do I edit? I'm using KDE by editing the kderc ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

root user login

Is it possible to make root login(both GUI and non GUI) ONLY on the physical machine itself? If so, what do I edit? I'm using KDE by editing the kderc file, I can specify it so that no root logins occur through kdm but you can always login as the root user through the normal non-GUI method.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Engineer
    To deny direct root-connections to your linux, if thats what you mean, you can deny direct root-login in /etc/ssh/sshd_config for all ssh connections and deny direct root access other then console in /etc/securetty.

Regards

Regards

Andutt

Linux Guru
    It's possible to configure that in gdm as well: in the "security" section of your /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf, set AllowRemoteRoot=false and AllowRoot=true. It's probably possible in xdm as well, but it has been a while since I played with display managers, so I don't remember. You might have to configure it in PAM (which might be the best option anyway). I don't know if there is a PAM module to determine whether it's a remote login or not though. You might have to write one yourself.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close