Find the answer to your Linux question:
Actually I have 2 questions. One, how do I sign on as root in a GUI (not in the terminal). And two, how do I delete a directory in a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Erasing Files in Shell

Actually I have 2 questions. One, how do I sign on as root in a GUI (not in the terminal). And two, how do I delete a directory in a terminal? (Whats the command)?

Linux Guru
    OK, first of all: You really shouldn't log in as root in the GUI (actually, not at all, but there are many good exceptions), unless you have _really_ good reasons. This has many serious security considerations. If a normal application (like mozilla, gaim, etc.) gets cracked over the internet, the attacker will only have access to your user's data. That's of course bad, but far better than if he gets root access.
    With that said, if you still want to log in as root, change the "AllowRoot=false" line under the "security" sections in your /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf to "AllowRoot=true".

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much... but one last thing, what is the command in a terminal to delete a directory? (Folder, etc.) Thanks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Code:
    rm -rf /path/to/dir

Linux Engineer
    Or use this command, NOTE if the directory is empty.

Code:
    rmdir /path/to/dir
    If you must use

Code:
    rm -rf /path/to/dir
    Make sure you specifie the directory, try not to use wildcards as *. Many people have made mistakes and deleted whole strucutures with this command. Its very good but know what you a re doing..

Regards

Regards

Andutt