Find the answer to your Linux question:
Another dingbat question from the old man. I noticed that Red Hat and Fedora must be very similar to be in the same distro category. While I am very new ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Red Hat/Fedora Ubuntu/Debian

Another dingbat question from the old man. I noticed that Red Hat and Fedora must be very similar to be in the same distro category. While I am very new to Ubuntu I see a lot of Debian in it. Is Ubuntu based on Debian? Is Fedora based on Red Hat? I am just wondering!!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

oz
    forum.guy
    Yes, you can read about Ubuntu and its Debian roots here:

Ubuntu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

..and Fedora and its relation to Red Hat here:

Fedora (operating system) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    oz

Thanks Ozar for the links.
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Ubuntu is based on Debian but it is updated much more frequently. Debian is proud to be way stable but slow for updates, while Ubuntu tries to keep up to date with everything
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Just Joined!
    From what I have read on all the forums and using Debian for 5 years now my perception is that Debian seems to be easier to tweak when you have an issue. Yes Debian is rock solid. I run the impressive Postgres SQL database server and a fax server (Hylafax) on the same machine at work and all I can say is -- wow you can beat the hell out of that CPU (P4 2GHz single core). This is my perception and it is just a perception. Don't get me wrong I heard good things about Ubuntu also. For a desktop I will try Ubuntu next time but for a server I will always run Debian. I just recall in 2007 I used a P2 333Mhz Celeron as a printer server running Cups managing 9 printers and the stats from cacti showed the CPU was occupied at 25 % in the worst peaks and believe me these printers were busy There was 2 wires going to the box, Power and Network cable and it was managed remotely it was not running X . This is an example of configure and forget. Just let it do the job. Amazing. I also run Debian on this Dell Latitude D610 like I said for 5 years now and it is just amazing.
    I have to add that I loaded Debian on this HP Pavillion Sr- 5000 series (Desktop) at work it was not even listed in the Debian hardware compatibility almost every thing went fine. This box run on an AMD 64 bits and I had an issue with the acroread plugin for Iceweasel. Installing this plugin on a 64 bits machine is not obvious. I found help on the forums and it took me about 30 minutes to figure it out.
    Have fun !

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Ubuntu is based on Debian Unstable. Redhat Enterprise Linux is based on Fedora (oddly enough Fedora was started using the code from the old Redhat Linux. Version 9 of Red Hat Linux to be precise).