Find the answer to your Linux question:
Have anybody heard something about the chroot command that are included in for example redhat 9. I´ve heard that its not that secure?? The jail that are created have been ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

Insecure included chroot command in Linux??

Have anybody heard something about the chroot command that are included in for example redhat 9. I´ve heard that its not that secure??

The jail that are created have been escaped for some programs and applications. Have anyonelse heard anyting about that?? I have a homemade chroot command that does the samething but shall be a secure one, therefore i wonder if the included chroot command is secure i dont need to maintain the otherone.

Regards

Regards

Andutt

Linux Engineer
    Have no-one read it or used it themselfs??

Regards

Andutt

Linux Guru
    Nope; post a link and I'll try to look into it.
    The thing is that the standard chroot environment can be broken by processes running as root, since they can mount a proc file system anywhere in their VFS namespace and then chroot to /proc/1/root.
    I don't know how they suppose to solve this, but I'd love to look at it.

Linux Engineer
    I dont have any link i´m afraid, there not so much documentation out there on chroot envireonments, ther are much for bind and postfix.. because they have been around for some time.

The included chroot command in RH i have heard wispersing by my linuxfriends and on work that it shouldnt be good. But they can´t show any evidense... so the best why of knowing is to ask the community.

Regards

Regards

Andutt

Linux Guru
    What they are referring to is probably the thing that root can always escape. If you then set the UID to a normal user, you don't have any worries, as long as there isn't a proc filesystem mounted somewhere in the jail.
    I thought you said that you had a home made command? Don't you have a link or docs or anything about that?