Find the answer to your Linux question:
This should be a simple question for you guru's to shine on. From the cmd line, how do I determine the system time that linux thinks it is? Not the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    flw
    Linux Engineer

System time in linux

This should be a simple question for you guru's to shine on.

From the cmd line, how do I determine the system time that linux thinks it is? Not the bios.

Then what is the format and an example of changing the time?

I won't even ask about going backwards in time and the issue of synthetic time. So just forwards will do, thanks for any help.

flw
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Well I think I found part of what I was looking for from http://tldp.org.

How to tell linux system time?

Use the `-R' option to output the date in the format described in RFC822 (see section Word Lists and Reference Files): day of week followed by day of month, month name, year, time, and time zone in numeric format. This is the date format used in email messages.

To output the current date and time in RFC822 format, type:
    $ date -R RET
    Fri, 11 May 2001 11:10:29 -0400
    $

You can also use the `-d' option to specify the precise fields to output, and the order in which to output them. For more information, see the date man page
    Short of resetting bios time, still don't have the force syncronization of bios and linux time yet. Any tips?
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"