Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm very new to Linux and know nothing about installing Linux. For years, I have been discouraged about the fans running on full speed on an Imac under Linux. I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Dao
    Just Joined!

Linux on a Imac/PowerMac8,1/PowerPC G5?

I'm very new to Linux and know nothing about installing Linux. For years, I have been discouraged about the fans running on full speed on an Imac under Linux. I'm tempted to try looking into installing Linux on my Imac. What are my chances in making this work without the headaches for a newbie? Here is more info on my Imac:
    ---------------
    Machine Name: iMac G5
    Machine Model: PowerMac8,1
    CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    CPU Speed: 1.8 GHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
    Memory: 1.25 GB
    Bus Speed: 600 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 5.2.2f4
    Model: MATSHITADVD-R UJ-825
    Chipset Model: GeForce FX 5200--VRAM (Total): 64 MB
    --------------------

I also have a 4 GB and a 2 GB thumbdrive. Perhaps, I could install on a thumbdrive to make sure This will work before I do the full install on my Imac.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

I've never tried it myself, but Yellow Dog Linux seems to be a popular choice for the Mac:

Fixstars -- Optimized Solutions for Multi-Core Processors Cell, GPU; Linux for Cell, PLAYSTATION, PS3, QS22, and Mercury.

Maybe someone more in the know will respond with more info for you.
    oz

Dao
    Just Joined!
    I downloaded the new Ubuntu and burned the .iso file to a CD and rebooted holding the option key. My Mac didn't see the disk. Is the .iso a full liveCD or was it just an install package? I wanted to try it out from a CD before I install to see if the fan problem is solved as well as the disply. What should should I try next? I wasn't too happy about downloading Yellow Dog for 14 hours and wasn't sure if I was going to have the same problem. When I rebooted holding option key, I got the only choice on my screen. The only choice was the Mac OS.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    You can find a PowerPC version of the liveCD, here:

Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope)
    oz

Dao
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    You can find a PowerPC version of the liveCD . . .
    OH! I didn't catch that. Thanks! I downloaded the i386. Wrong page! Will try that.

Dao
    Just Joined!
    I'm connected to ATT using PPP. I turn my mac off when not in use. I'm not sure if I'm reading the requirements pages right but I thought I saw something like being online all the time. See below:
    ---------
    Network Settings

If your computer is connected to a network 24 hours a day (i.e., an Ethernet or equivalent connection not a PPP connection), you should ask your network's system administrator for this information.

Your host name (you may be able to decide this on your own).

Your domain name.

Your computer's IP address.

The netmask to use with your network.

The IP address of the default gateway system you should route to, if your network has a gateway.

The system on your network that you should use as a DNS (Domain Name Service) server.

On the other hand, if your administrator tells you that a DHCP server is available and is recommended, then you don't need this information because the DHCP server will provide it directly to your computer during the installation process.

oz
    forum.guy
    I don't have a mac and have never tried installing the powerpc version, so maybe someone that has will chime in with some info. Generally speaking though, Ubuntu works better for those with fast connections for updates and for installing additional applications.
    oz