Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm searching large directories of undocumented .c and .h files, and I need to find where a function is located. I found this in an earlier thread: Code: find ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] How do I search strings from multiples files AND get the file where it's loc

Hello,

I'm searching large directories of undocumented .c and .h files, and I need to find where a function is located.

I found this in an earlier thread:

Code:
    find <search_dir> -name <pattern> -exec grep <search_string> '{}' \;
    But it doesn't tell me the file where it found the <search_string>, just outputs the line. How do I get the filename?

-Stephen

tpl
    Linux User
    grep is the one--

"grep <pattern> *.c"

or with -n it'll tell you what line number
    the sun is new every day (heraclitus)

Just Joined!

Add -r for recursive

One solution is to separate find and grep. Use find to get the directory location, Once you know where the directory is, go to the directory and grep for the pattern recursively.

grep -r <pattern> *

-r for recursive, this way if a directory is found in the current directory, the subdirectory will also be traversed. This will definitely show you where the pattern lives.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Just use grep. By default it should show file name when you are greping multiple files (ie. you use a wildcard). To show the line number use -n. For example, if I search for a word on the linux kernel source tree I get:

Code:
    $ grep -n -r -i -w **** *
    Documentation/DocBook/kernel-hacking.tmpl:1306:         * give up.  I'm serious, I am going to kick the living ****
    arch/mips/include/asm/mipsprom.h:29:/* More PROM ****.  Probably has to do with VME RMW cycles??? */
    arch/mips/kernel/genex.S:95:     * Big ****, we now may have two dirty primary cache lines for the same
    arch/sparc/kernel/pcic.c:497:                            * to **** into regions like that.
    arch/sparc/kernel/traps_64.c:282:               /* ****... */
    arch/sparc/lib/checksum_32.S:327:        * give up.  I'm serious, I am going to kick the living ****
    arch/sparc/mm/srmmu.c:1608:      * this **** off... nice job Fujitsu.
    arch/sparc/mm/ultra.S:24:        * in Microelectronics who refused to fix this ****.
    arch/x86/kernel/visws_quirks.c:305:      * What lunatic came up with this ****?
    drivers/ata/sata_via.c:316: *   SCR registers on vt6420 are pieces of **** and may hang the
    drivers/block/ub.c:1093:                                 * This is typically ENOMEM or some other such ****.
    drivers/net/declance.c:32: *      v0.007: Big ****. The LANCE seems to use a different DMA mechanism to
    drivers/net/sunhme.c:930:       /* Remember: "Different name, same old buggy as **** hardware." */
    drivers/net/sunlance.c:51: *              This was the sun4c killer. ****, stupid bug.
    drivers/net/wan/z85230.c:1600:                  ct=2;   /* **** happens.. */
    drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl3945-base.c:3677:       /* all this **** doesn't belong into sysfs anyway */
    drivers/staging/slicoss/slicoss.c:1302: u32 c;          /*  CRC **** reg                 */
    drivers/staging/slicoss/slicoss.c:2147:                     we wouldn't need this ****
    drivers/staging/sxg/sxg.c:3496: u32 c;                  /*  CRC **** reg */
    drivers/video/aty/radeon_pm.c:284:      /* Hrm... same ****, X doesn't do that but I have to */
    fs/jffs2/dir.c:858:             /* Oh ****. We really ought to make a single node which can do both atomically */
    fs/notify/fsnotify.c:165:                               /* ****, we OOM'd and now we can't tell, maybe
    net/ipv4/tcp_input.c:692:        *    all the algo is pure **** and should be replaced
    [...]
    Edit: It seems the "****" word has been censored. In the example grep command I posted, The four asterisks represent whatever word you want to search for. The last one is a true asterisk which means to grep into all files.

Just Joined!
    Thanks,

So a follow-up questions is how can I replace that word in all the files?

I presume there's some shell scripting and pipelines involved... but I wouldn't even know where to start.

-S!

Linux Guru
    Code:
    # we have 6 files
    $ ls
    a  b  c  d  e  f
    # only e and f contains the string "foo"
    $ grep -l foo *
    e
    f
    # we pipe the output of grep into a while loop
    # and then edit it with sed -i, the -i is important
    # otherwise the resultant file will be empty
    $ grep -l foo * | while read file; do sed -i 's/foo/bar/g' "$file"; done
    $ cat e f
    bar
    bar

Just Joined!
    Okay,

So a script that looked like:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # This is file grename

OLDTEXT=${1}
    NEWTEXT=${2}

grep -l "${OLDTEXT}" * |
    while read file
    do
        sed -i 's/${OLDTEXT}/${NEWTEXT}/g' "$file"
    done
    would do the same thing?

grename foo bar

Linux Guru
    It seems ok. However, you should quote "$1" and "$2", the brackets are not needed there, though they certainly don't harm either.

Just Joined!
    Hrmmm... it's not replacing anything. Do I need a 's/%foo/bar/g' or 's/#foo/bar/g'? I've seen that elsewhere.

afaik, none of the files are write-protected.

Edit:
    The prompt version works, just not the script file. Oh well. thanks for the help, refactoring this just got a lot easier!!

-S!

Linux Guru
    Try with some extra quoting in sed,

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # This is file grename

OLDTEXT=${1}
    NEWTEXT=${2}

grep -l "${OLDTEXT}" * |
    while read file
    do
        sed -i 's/'"${OLDTEXT}"'/'"${NEWTEXT}"'/g' "$file"