Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone. First post for a Linux newb. I have a boot disk for Puppy (4.30.09) which was created by my step dad. I'm trying to boot it on a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Puppy boot on an HP desktop

Hi everyone. First post for a Linux newb.

I have a boot disk for Puppy (4.30.09) which was created by my step dad. I'm trying to boot it on a PC and it starts out ok. Right after the Setting up the layered filesystem message (done) I get the following....

"Performing a 'switch root' to the layered filesystem.....Kernal panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!"

And then she stops. I read as much as I could in the new user section but I didn't see anything relevant.

So do I need to download/burn a new boot disk or do I have another problem. We tried this disk on his laptop first and it worked no problem though so I'm not sure what is up. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by the_drum_dad View Post
    Hi everyone. First post for a Linux newb.

I have a boot disk for Puppy (4.30.09) which was created by my step dad. I'm trying to boot it on a PC and it starts out ok. Right after the Setting up the layered filesystem message (done) I get the following....

"Performing a 'switch root' to the layered filesystem.....Kernal panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!"

And then she stops. I read as much as I could in the new user section but I didn't see anything relevant.

So do I need to download/burn a new boot disk or do I have another problem. We tried this disk on his laptop first and it worked no problem though so I'm not sure what is up. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Chris.
    Hello and Welcome
    Have you tried any of the boot cheat codes? Here is link to a person with the same problem using an older version of puppy, but if you read most of the first page you'll see some codes you can try.
    Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - Puppy CD halting at "switch_root to layered filesystem"
    I would try this one first:
    Code:
    puppy pnpbios=off acpi=off
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Well, I decided to try the same boot disc with another PC that I have and it worked just fine. So it's not the disk itself. I've tried again on the original one and I'm getting some different things. I'm wondering if the hard drive is toast.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try the boot code you provided and see what happens.

Try to memtest the RAM on this machine too, it could be about done too.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    Well, I added a gig of fresh ram about a year ago and the machine has worked ok up till yesteday when it stalled on boot of XP. I've tried a bunch of different boot codes and also tried booting both 4.2 and 3.01 with the exact same result. I've done everything I know to do at this point.

You might try a different distro, some distros just do not like some hardware. Damn small Linux might be good.