Find the answer to your Linux question:
ive been mounting my ntfs filesystem without any trouble for a couple of days until i compiled automounting into the kernal now it says that my kernal doesnt support the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

NTFS not supported

ive been mounting my ntfs filesystem without any trouble for a couple of days until i compiled automounting into the kernal now it says that my kernal doesnt support the ntfs file system and also i couldnt get my automounting to work.

can anyone help me please

Linux Guru
    Didn't you just forget to compile NTFS support?

Just Joined!
    sounds like your ntfs support is build as a module(if poss), or the mounting is occuring before the ntfs support is loaded. This would be ok when manually mountuing, but not if you are mounting before the module loads. have a look at the boot squence. You may be able to play around with that.

Build ntfs into the kernel. I have done that in Red hat and automount and it works fine.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Even if it's a module, the kernel should try to auto-load it when a mount is attempted.

Just Joined!
    probably a squence issue where the mounting is being attempted before the module is recognised

Just Joined!

check /proc/filesystems

check the /proc/filesystem file , the word ntfs has to be written there to let linux support ntfs file system .

Linux Guru
    From fs/super.c in the kernel source tree:
    Code:
    struct file_system_type *get_fs_type(const char *name)
    {
    	struct file_system_type *fs;

read_lock(&file_systems_lock);
    	fs = *(find_filesystem(name));
    	if (fs && !try_inc_mod_count(fs->owner))
    		fs = NULL;
    	read_unlock(&file_systems_lock);
    	if (!fs && (request_module(name) == 0)) {
    		read_lock(&file_systems_lock);
    		fs = *(find_filesystem(name));
    		if (fs && !try_inc_mod_count(fs->owner))
    			fs = NULL;
    		read_unlock(&file_systems_lock);
    	}
    	return fs;
    }
    get_fs_type is called on the filesystem name to use every time you try to mount something.
    Notice the "if (!fs && (request_module(name) == 0)) {" line? See? It's not a sequence problem, since the kernel requests the filesystem module if it isn't already present. No offense, I just really wanted to prove my point. Btw., that functionality has been there since at least the 2.2 kernel series, so it's not a version problem.
    Smokie: No offense, but isn't it quite obvious that ntfs won't show up in /proc/filesystems when mount explicitly states that the kernel didn't recognize the filesystem type?

bignester: Probably, you just forgot to compile NTFS support. If you are completely certain that you did, double-check to see that the module is installed. Also, check your syslog after the mount attempt to see if it says something useful.