Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well for my Creative & Media Diploma course i get a free macbook to use on the course and off. And while my current desktop will remain my main computer, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Spec Me a Distro

Well for my Creative & Media Diploma course i get a free macbook to use on the course and off. And while my current desktop will remain my main computer, i can imagine using this in some situations. The problem is this: I hate OSX. It's clunky and overly annimative. So i want to use a Linux Distro in my free time. The catch is this: It's administrator locked. I can't install any new programs from .exe files. Also, i'd rather have it bootable from a USB stick, and run entirely in the RAM so i don't have to install it (and probably get shouted at). I know a lot of Distros that do this (Tiny Core, DSL, Puppy, Feather, Arch etc.) but i just want to hear your opinion.

Also, once i've chosen said distro i'd like to know how to actually boot from it. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Just Joined!
    Boot and run Linux from a USB flash memory stick | USB Pen Drive Linux

If you choose a distro that has persistence then you will be able to save all your modifications to a file on the same drive that you're running it from, and they will be restored on reboot.

I'm assuming that your macbook is an x86 (intel) instead of the old mac PPC architecture.

Just Joined!
    Yeah, it's a 2.22GHz Dual Core (or something similar to that). Only 1GB RAM though, but it should be enough.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    It depends, really. I advise you burn a few of the distros there, and run them in liveCD mode to find one that you like.

As far as RAM goes, 1GB will definitely be enough for a lightweight or midweight distro (puppy is lightweight and can run well on a 256MB system, knoppix is midweight and will run well on a 512MB system, and ubuntu/mint is heavyweight and you want 1Gb to run it well) but if you want to install a heavy weight distro then you will need to make use of a swap partition -- which is needed if you multitask.

To that point it is recommended to use a tool like gparted to repartition your thumbdrive and even put a swap partition on there which will act as backup RAM when the system RAM is low (like if you have a lot of stuff open).

If you have a big thumbdrive or even a portable HDD you can partition it however you want. I wrote a guide for getting a portable linux partition, swap partition, and data partition to coexist on the same HDD and it worked great -- however this might be adaptable for a larger thumbdrive.

The steps for repartitioning portable drives are outlined in my FaunOS/Freeagent tutorial (Steps 2 and 3) and can be applied to a wide range of distros.

FaunOS Forums / HOW TO: Install FaunOS on a Seagate Freeagent Go