Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I use an ACER LCD monitor(X193W). I managed to install Linux but I get a message that says 'Input not supported' or 'No signal'... Also, at the booting option, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Input not supported/No signal

Hi,

I use an ACER LCD monitor(X193W). I managed to install Linux but I get a message that says 'Input not supported' or 'No signal'... Also, at the booting option, my Windows XP is named as 'other'... I would like to rename it to 'Win XP'.. how do i do that?

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    What Linux distribution did you install? It seems like the graphics settings are not correct and need to be reconfigured but the exact method depends on your distribution. As for changing "other" to "WinXP", edit a file called /boot/grub/menu.lst. You will need to be root (the system admin) to do that.

Just Joined!
    I've installed Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 on my system... The screen just says 'No Signal' after I select the RHEL OS in the boot option..

Just Joined!
    This is what my boot sequence looks like:

root(hd1,5)
    kernel /xen.gz-2.6.18-8.e15
    module /vmlinuz-2.6.18-8.e15xen ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb ->
    moduel /initrd-2.6.18-8.e15xen.img

To fix the graphics problem, boot into text mode using the instructions here. Once the system boots into text mode, login as root and run the command
    Code:
    system-config-display --reconfig
    As for the grub issue, you need to look at /boot/grub/menu.lst, look for the entry named "other" and change that to "WinXP" or whatever you wish.

Just Joined!
    I've tried running the command at run level 1 and 3, it hangs for a while and then I get the 'No signal' error again..
    I downloaded the nVIDIA graphics driver for linux on my Windows desktop, its a .run file, how do i install it?
    Maybe that should work?
    I changed the entry from ''other'' to ''WinXP''.. thanx..

To install a run file
    Code:
    chmod +x Somefile.run
    ./Somefile.run

Just Joined!
    I've installed RHEL 5 all over again, I sill get the 'Input not supported' error...

I got the .run file running, but I require Internet to install it. I'm not able to configure my ethernet card.. I used a Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC..

What release of RHEL is it? Some gigabit ethernet cards were not supported in older 5.x release but many will work with 5.4.